2 Navy boat crews seized by Iran?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to see this didn't turn into a huge incident. I am (maybe wrongly so) hopeful that Iran wants to avoid going back to the adversarial positions we held for the last forty years.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a news clip this morning that showed the sailors being held in a room. From their uniforms and physical appearance, I think they were Seals. These guys were wearing green camouflage instead of the blue camouflage that everyday sailors wear.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they were crew as reported, then not SEALs. Special Boat Team is more likely. Still part of Navy special operations.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
News reports say Iran kept their GPS equipment.
I guess one could put on the tin foil, and come up with a couple of reasons. Either they captured them in international waters, and wanted to hide the fact, or they wanted the equipment to prove they were in Iran's waters.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the actual boat, but are these normally used in open waters while traveling moderate distances? What is the max range of a boat like that? I'm estimating that journey would be around or at least 250-300 nautical miles, a pretty good distance for a smallish boat. Do they plan operations like that to be running on fumes when they get to their destination, refuel or carry extra fuel? .

According to news reports, they were supposed to be met on their trip by a ship to be refueled that didn't show up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom