2 Navy boat crews seized by Iran?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Bsa

Marksman
Reaction score
So we have 2 boats that both happen to have malfunctions at the same time. I would like to know the odds of this.
The timing is interesting. This happens and the Iranians get to be the rescuers and good guys (just listen to John Kerry) right before his majesty Obama releases 56 billion dollars to the iranians. Interesting timing.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's my understanding that the two boats were traveling together as a unit. One had some sort of failure...the other obviously stayed around to assist instead of running away.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's my understanding that the two boats were traveling together as a unit. One had some sort of failure...the other obviously stayed around to assist instead of running away.

So why couldn't the operational boat tow the disabled boat to safe waters?
That question keeps rolling around in my head.
I spend a lot of time on the water in boats. On occasion towing in disabled boats. My 8' scamp with a 4hp outboard will tow a 21' fully rigged Champion, so I'm pretty sure the other boat had that capability.
Why they didn't exercise that option is what keeps bringing up the red flag for me. There may be a logical answer, but it hasn't been made public.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only two important questions for me concerning Iran are these:

A. Will the United States be smart enough not to get involved in yet another war in the Middle East?

B. Will friendlier relations with Iran bring about some new imports of Persian Mausers and some 8x57 surplus ammo?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
B. Will friendlier relations with Iran bring about some new imports of Persian Mausers and some 8x57 surplus ammo?

I have other concerns regarding the US-Iran relations, but this comment brings to mind the MAP loan of some 165,000 M1 Garands the US made to Iran during the Shah years. Will we see a return of these and eventual sale by the CMP, I wonder? A good number of these rifles were made by International Harvester and sent over fresh from the factory...

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time on the water in boats. On occasion towing in disabled boats. My 8' scamp with a 4hp outboard will tow a 21' fully rigged Champion, so I'm pretty sure the other boat had that capability.
Why they didn't exercise that option is what keeps bringing up the red flag for me. There may be a logical answer, but it hasn't been made public.

Who knows. But not towing the other boat is not proof of some conspiracy or plan on our part is what I'm saying.

We lack a lot of details. How long were they broke before capture? Where were they when they broke down?

Maybe we like to thumb our nose at the Iranians and buzz their territory around that small island while transiting from Kuwait to Bahrain...and the boat broke down while they were already over the line and they didn't have time to rig up a tow.

Maybe they weren't over the line and thought they could fix it but didn't pay attention to their location. I still go for the simpler explanation rather than the elaborate conspiracy.

TyMD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I read in an article on fox or cnn this morning they were supposed to rendezvous with another boat to refuel, but it never showed. I'll try and find the story.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have other concerns regarding the US-Iran relations, but this comment brings to mind the MAP loan of some 165,000 M1 Garands the US made to Iran during the Shah years. Will we see a return of these and eventual sale by the CMP, I wonder? A good number of these rifles were made by International Harvester and sent over fresh from the factory...

Right after the 50,000 M-1 carbines that the Republic of Korea (not just friendly but an actualy ally) has been trying to sell back to US dealers gets ublocked by State.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who knows. But not towing the other boat is not proof of some conspiracy or plan on our part is what I'm saying.

We lack a lot of details. How long were they broke before capture? Where were they when they broke down?

Maybe we like to thumb our nose at the Iranians and buzz their territory around that small island while transiting from Kuwait to Bahrain...and the boat broke down while they were already over the line and they didn't have time to rig up a tow.

Maybe they weren't over the line and thought they could fix it but didn't pay attention to their location. I still go for the simpler explanation rather than the elaborate conspiracy.

The fact that their CIC is a total puss and the fact that almost all flag officers that wouldn't tow the dem party line were purged from the military isn't some elaborate conspiracy, they're just facts. That's all I'm saying.

Latest posts

Top Bottom