2016 Garden Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here we go, another growing season is upon us!!!

I planted blackberry, raspberry, and blue berry..its an investment in time..as it will be next season before we get a crop.. but they been in the ground for a couple weeks now and I can see they are happy.

Im trying a new product this season, its Dewitt Pro 5, its a commercial grade ground cloth, looks like a black tarp on-top, and felt on the bottom, last 5 years and it allows water and liquid fertilizer through but keeps the weeds out. it also has a yellow woven line every 12" so you can plant straight rows.. I first saw this in used in a commercial greenhouse / farm setup.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've tilled the garden a couple of times. We have had some rains, and some weeds have sprouted, so hoping multiple tillings will at least slow down the weed population. Even with this warm spell, afraid to put out any warm season plants for fear of a late freeze.
The warm weather has brought on the asparagus though. Already picked a pound of stalks.

Planning on putting in Tomato's, bell and jalapeno peppers, squash, bunching onions, bush and pole beans, and cucumbers. All in peat pots at the moment.

Had issues last year with the turkey in the garden. They are more destructive to some plants than deer. They pick the leaves off emerging beans and cucumbers, killing the plants. A benefit is that turkey don't eat the pepper plants, or tomato's, but they do pick off the bugs. Going to build fence around the beans and cukes this year.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I planted strawberry plants today. My patch burned-up a couple years ago and I have missed them. You are making me think about finding a spot for raspberry and blue berry.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I planted strawberry plants today. My patch burned-up a couple years ago and I have missed them. You are making me think about finding a spot for raspberry and blue berry.

OSU extension and TLC says this is the time to get the blueberry Raspberry BlackBerry in the ground. At least the ones that look like a stick in a plastic bag.. The root balls on all mine have started to sprout new shoots already.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm holding out for a while. Too many freeze outs the last few years, and we're supposed to freeze here this weekend.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kohlrabi, leeks, and most beets have germinated outside. Planted brussel sprouts, kale, and more beets the other day.

1st time trying the kale. I think they do better if planted in fall but well see.

Carrots going in next.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've got onions from last year growing. Planning to till and expand our raised garden beds this week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kohlrabi, leeks, and most beets have germinated outside. Planted brussel sprouts, kale, and more beets the other day.

1st time trying the kale. I think they do better if planted in fall but well see.

Carrots going in next.

What do you do with Kale? I've always heard about people planting it, what's the best way to eat it?

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Though i dont care for it, salad is what my wife used kale for. It grew easy if I remember right

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom