.22lr Quantity over Quality?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn’t care for the longest time….if it went bang, I was happy….until I got my Custom Shop 10/22. Here are some of my test results. All are 10 rounds (one mag) at 25 yards from a rest. I have the best luck with CCI (except the “quiet” suppresser stuff) and the bulk Federal was good in the gun. Winchester will not even chamber in it! I stayed away from Aguila because I find it really dirty too. I guess you really have play and work to find what the gun likes…

C76B8539-013F-497D-864D-5F1FFF0F9AD4.jpeg

29D3C944-DFB6-433F-BEC3-C2CF1BBCA229.jpeg731F437F-AFFC-4AC2-8016-D957DED0320B.jpeg9F359757-2641-4F79-BDC5-8E9ABE953E96.jpeg3190B765-37F7-4886-8140-9E1CFFDCDFC6.jpeg3E849F9F-5BDF-4A62-8355-8EE8F341718F.jpeg

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it depends on what you are shooting it out of.
Personally, I'd say Mini Mag all the way. Stack it deep.

Semi Autos? Stay away from the dirty (cheap) stuff.
Suppressors? Stay away from the dirty stuff.
Revolver? Shoot what you want

Test your gun. If it shoots the ammo (accurately) and you are happy with the dirt level, get a bunch. Just remember, dirty ammo will cost you somewhere down the road with a missed shot or a jammed firearm.

Again, test your gun AND mags. I have one 10/22 clone that will ONLY function well with factory 10/22 10 round mags. I have one 22 mouse gun that will ONLY function 100% using CCI stingers.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like CCI Mini Mags and Federal Champion Bulk pack ammo. Both seem to fire without issue through my semi-auto pistols and rifles, bolt rifles, and lever action rifle. I wasn’t impressed with Remington Golden Bullets - I had frequent FTF issues. I don’t know if these are still made specifically nice the bankruptcy.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a brick of CCI 22 Suppressor ammo and it works well in my Savage MkII FVSR. Mostly I shoot older pump 22’s like a Win 1906 and Browning Trombone so I stick with CCI Standard Velocity.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before I open my mouth too much and become an OSHA violation, I'll keep it to this:

Different firearms will prefer different ammunition, just like centerfire guns. I have a Colt Diamondback that shoots the bulk 36gr Federal stuff amazingly well, but kind of shotgun patterns the Federal Automatch. My safe full of old Winchester 67s will all group the Automatch under an inch at 25 yards (open sights). I have a scoped Savage rifle that will shoot in the 1" range with either at 50 yards...but shoots in the .3s and .4s with Wolf Match at that distance.

Plain old bulk .22 stuff (even the Automatch) kills armadillos pretty effectively...but I will give the nod to my Mini Mags in that department. I dispatch trapped raccoons and skunks with the CCI CBs or the Quiet ammo during deer season. It works great, but requires good shot placement.

At this point I'd just buy whatever you can get your hands on if the price is good. I got on a .22 kick in 2016 after they returned on the shelves again after being gone for almost 4 years. I was buying by the case...~$220/5,250 rounds at the time.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven’t found a rifle or handgun that wouldn’t shoot CCI ammo fairly well, so I don’t think you can go wrong stocking it. I only use mine for hunting and not plinking.
I use bulk pack ammo for plinking, and it actually shoots good enough in my rifles to hunt with it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buy all you can afford if you like shooting it.
If you decide you no longer care for all that ammo you can trade it off.

When neck beards were the only ones getting .22 ammo I had lots of it and traded it for lead wheel weights.
Got me stocked up in lead for really cheap.
Now I prefer to shoot cast lead powder puff loads in 30 cal much more than i like shooting .22 LR

rustyaa55

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP - couldn't find where you advised WHAT Gun(s) you are shooting. Makes big difference. Can give you strong generalities from years of testing and shooting most type guns imaginable. BUT only your gun can show you what it likes. Currently shooting 617, GP100, and Ruger Mark Pistols the most. None like the FED auto match for operation - many FTFand dirty. CCI shoots great in anything we shoved it in. Have a couple MARK IIs that get almost nothing else. The revolvers can accept a wider range of power/velocity. Ditto rifle types other than semi-auto. Try to feed semi-autos with plated bullets like mini mags. Quite often the wax type lubes in other 22s will gum up your works. HINT: CCI fits great in 30 cal ammo cans. 2 rows of 9 - 100 rd boxes on end. Pad bottom of can with cut piece of repurposed exercise mat. <-- best use for those. Good luck in your quest. Stay safe and have a blast.

Latest posts

Top Bottom