30-30 rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the JM business I copied this because its completely in keeping with my understanding, right down to owning a JM stamped rifle from 2009. I followed it close back then since I was convinced I had one of the last STBLs (available on the web) to make it out of North Haven, Ct plant. I looked at Remlins every time I went in a gunshop where they were on the rack for about seven years after 2009. I shot with a lot of Marlin enthusiasts from all over who claimed they had a nice Remlin or had seen one but I never handled one. Fit and finish were all lacking in guns I handled except for a friend’s in Cheyenne.

I know a couple who have written reviews of the new Ruger-made Marlins and I trust them. Their reviews are positive enough that I kinda want one myself again. I’ve owned somewhere north of 30 Marlin levers, including 30-30. All had a jm stamp though. Sold all but a handful in a chase for Marlin Ballards (1875-1891).
=====

“Cerberus announced it would acquire Marlin in December 2007 in a deal scheduled to close in January 2008.

Following completion of the deal, new management started implementing manufacturing process changes, including elimination of some quality inspections, in order to increase production. By 2009, the Marlin ways were quickly being displaced by Remington's 'modern' business and manufacturing practices.

Cerberus announced in March 2010 it would close the North Haven, Ct plant and move Marlin production to Ilion, NY. Production in North Haven ceased around April 2011.

I understand quality issues associated with the new operation began showing up late in 2009. I suspect problems intensified when closure of the North Haven plant was announced, and quality bottomed out during and after the transition of production to Ilion, NY.

My current personal benchmark for choosing a Marlin is a manufacturing year of 2008 or earlier. Process changes, morale problems and other issues that undermined stability of Marlin manufacturing after 2008 make rifles built post-2008 less likely to reflect traditional workmanship, in my opinion. I do own several 2009 Marlins, and these rifles are highly satisfactory in fit, finish and functionality.”
Good info! I had a levergun bug for a while and bought and sold several of them and learned a lot as well.

One more thing I will add about the whole poor quality Remlin thing… from what I understand, the WORST ones were made in the first 3 or 4 years after the Remington takeover… so basically a 2009-2012ish remlin has the highest likelihood of being a bad one. The newer ones were more likely to have acceptable quality

I had a 1895 ABL made in 2016 and it was a nice rifle

deerstalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the day when I had good eye sight, 30-30 t/c barrel was deadly..
1677245826865.png

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found a picture of my “tweaked” Marlin. This gun started out with a pistol grip stock, but I traded floor plate and stock with a guy that wanted a pistol grip Marlin 1895GS. I added a Wild West Gun trigger, oversize lever, and XS extended pic rail. The trigger breaks at about 3#. My daughter likes it a lot.
B8A1E749-A19F-4958-B3A6-3235C668074B.jpeg

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the JM business I copied this because its completely in keeping with my understanding, right down to owning a JM stamped rifle from 2009. I followed it close back then since I was convinced I had one of the last STBLs (available on the web) to make it out of North Haven, Ct plant. I looked at Remlins every time I went in a gunshop where they were on the rack for about seven years after 2009. I shot with a lot of Marlin enthusiasts from all over who claimed they had a nice Remlin or had seen one but I never handled one. Fit and finish were all lacking in guns I handled except for a friend’s in Cheyenne.

I know a couple who have written reviews of the new Ruger-made Marlins and I trust them. Their reviews are positive enough that I kinda want one myself again. I’ve owned somewhere north of 30 Marlin levers, including 30-30. All had a jm stamp though. Sold all but a handful in a chase for Marlin Ballards (1875-1891).
=====

“Cerberus announced it would acquire Marlin in December 2007 in a deal scheduled to close in January 2008.

Following completion of the deal, new management started implementing manufacturing process changes, including elimination of some quality inspections, in order to increase production. By 2009, the Marlin ways were quickly being displaced by Remington's 'modern' business and manufacturing practices.

Cerberus announced in March 2010 it would close the North Haven, Ct plant and move Marlin production to Ilion, NY. Production in North Haven ceased around April 2011.

I understand quality issues associated with the new operation began showing up late in 2009. I suspect problems intensified when closure of the North Haven plant was announced, and quality bottomed out during and after the transition of production to Ilion, NY.

My current personal benchmark for choosing a Marlin is a manufacturing year of 2008 or earlier. Process changes, morale problems and other issues that undermined stability of Marlin manufacturing after 2008 make rifles built post-2008 less likely to reflect traditional workmanship, in my opinion. I do own several 2009 Marlins, and these rifles are highly satisfactory in fit, finish and functionality.”
This explains it. I’m sure there is guns that are still really good coming out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom