30-30 rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the scope vs no scope topic. I’ve had 45/70 lever guns and did both. At the end of the day, I prefer my lever guns with just iron sights. But if you are going for tight groups and target shooting by all means, throw a scope on it. I really just depends what you plan to use it for.

Last edited:

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The JM stamped Marlins are the rifles that were made before, or shortly after, Remington bought them out in 2008 and the quality suffered greatly afterwards for many years.

They are now produced by Ruger and as far as I'm concerned the results remain to be seen.

View attachment 351702
This is similar to what I have been told.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, I have owned a non JM marlin 45/70 (commonly referred to as a “remlin”)

They are not all junk and they are not all worthless. Plenty of remlins are fine shooters. That being said, I will give you an idea of what the differences are:

Fit/finish will be noticeably better on a JM, smooth edges/deep blueing/etc.. JM action will feel smoother and tighter. Wood on the stocks is better. Less issues with part failures. Less chance of barrel cant or droop. Etc..

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It will be a JM in an oval near the receiver on the left side of the barrel. The size and style may vary a little. The stamp will be on guns pre 90-91ish
Mine has the I’m stamp. I bought new in 2006. It’s 336w micro groove. It shoots amazing!

Attachments

• 2B3C0FAA-6AE3-42AB-89DC-3CAC27995E62.png
    2B3C0FAA-6AE3-42AB-89DC-3CAC27995E62.png
    9.3 MB · Views: 0
  • D7978CDE-C3BB-4C9E-84D0-3A635CB05BA9.jpeg
    D7978CDE-C3BB-4C9E-84D0-3A635CB05BA9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the JM business I copied this because its completely in keeping with my understanding, right down to owning a JM stamped rifle from 2009. I followed it close back then since I was convinced I had one of the last STBLs (available on the web) to make it out of North Haven, Ct plant. I looked at Remlins every time I went in a gunshop where they were on the rack for about seven years after 2009. I shot with a lot of Marlin enthusiasts from all over who claimed they had a nice Remlin or had seen one but I never handled one. Fit and finish were all lacking in guns I handled except for a friend’s in Cheyenne.

I know a couple who have written reviews of the new Ruger-made Marlins and I trust them. Their reviews are positive enough that I kinda want one myself again. I’ve owned somewhere north of 30 Marlin levers, including 30-30. All had a jm stamp though. Sold all but a handful in a chase for Marlin Ballards (1875-1891).
=====

“Cerberus announced it would acquire Marlin in December 2007 in a deal scheduled to close in January 2008.

Following completion of the deal, new management started implementing manufacturing process changes, including elimination of some quality inspections, in order to increase production. By 2009, the Marlin ways were quickly being displaced by Remington's 'modern' business and manufacturing practices.

Cerberus announced in March 2010 it would close the North Haven, Ct plant and move Marlin production to Ilion, NY. Production in North Haven ceased around April 2011.

I understand quality issues associated with the new operation began showing up late in 2009. I suspect problems intensified when closure of the North Haven plant was announced, and quality bottomed out during and after the transition of production to Ilion, NY.

My current personal benchmark for choosing a Marlin is a manufacturing year of 2008 or earlier. Process changes, morale problems and other issues that undermined stability of Marlin manufacturing after 2008 make rifles built post-2008 less likely to reflect traditional workmanship, in my opinion. I do own several 2009 Marlins, and these rifles are highly satisfactory in fit, finish and functionality.”

Latest posts

Top Bottom