308 "sniper" rifle build need more opinions, plz

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I said, I've been looking at these rifles too. Other then the velocity difference is there any big advantages/disadvantages to the 20" Tactical vs. the 26" Varmint?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im so confused by all the makes and models and initials. I'm not real clear on what bdl, adl and cdl means. On remys site, the msrp on a sps varmint is 695. And I can't find the price of an adl. Are they that much cheaper?

An ADL is the cheapest model Remington makes (maybe the youth is cheaper - it would actually work for you if you were going to swap the barrel/stock anyways. The ADL has no "bottom metal" (hinged door for the rounds to drop out of the bottom of the rifle when you want to unload it). You can pick up some used bottom metal from Sniper's Hide or any number of places (if you're wanting a box-mag, you won't need this anyways).

If you're going to build it up, then don't pay extra for something you're going to take off anyways. The SPS Varmint (or other SPS Cool models) don't have good stocks or nicer barrels from the factory.

If you want to buy one already built from Remington, get a model 5R Milspec or Police Tactical from Remington's LE/Mil website.

I wouldn't pay the money for HS Precision's rifles - they're way over-priced and I'm not a fan of a lot of their products having tried a few of them out and owned a few more. You can get into a GAP rifle or a custom Surgeon for that price.

MadDawg is right in that Savage makes a better gun out of the box, but their accessories (replacement barrels, stocks, bottom-metal, triggers, etc...) will cost slightly more than Remington's accessories just because there's more Remington 700's out there (I actually am a fan of the Accu-Trigger over Remington's crappy X-Mark though).

What exactly do you want to do with this rifle?

Nightops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love the H&S on my FN SPR. If detachable mags are a must have feature for you, it may be better to stop trying to re-invent the wheel and just buy a controlled feed gun built to use detachable mags.

MadDawg

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Experiences can vary.
I get douglas barrels for any of my rifles at the same price no matter the brand.

Microfit laminated stocks dont charge extra

Bell and Carlson doesnt either.

Super high end guys like Mcmillian perhaps, but I dont shop there.

I have built drop mag bolt guns, have no real use for them.

The sharpshooter trigger compares well to the jewels in performance and price.

Ken farrel 20 moa bases are the same for both remington and savage.

So where I shop to upgrade the less pricey base model savage, the upgrade prices work well.

On the accutrigger, so far two examples have locked up if the shooter lightly drags his finger across the center blade. It doesnt take much to jam the trigger, i was amazed how little it took as I often rub back into proper finger position on my Sharpshooter, Dayston, factory remington triggers.

So I go for the older FP models and it is very simple to replace the monkey cluster original trigger with the sharpshooter comp trigger.

I have found older FPs for 350 bucks, quite often they wear the original barrel for a year or two, that being the last part of the conversion.

So I get a custom barrel, comp trigger, tactical bolt handle, 20moa base, laminated or synthetic target stock for right around 1000 bucks and it never has to be touched by a gunsmith!

I love my handy LTR, but my next LTR will be a savage I can work on myself.

Oh, I'm also not big fan of the new rem triggers or that triangular barrel, seems a bit hoaky to me.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the accutrigger, so far two examples have locked up if the shooter lightly drags his finger across the center blade. It doesnt take much to jam the trigger, i was amazed how little it took as I often rub back into proper finger position on my Sharpshooter, Dayston, factory remington triggers.

I had not heard this - that's good info to know.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

My 10FP accutrigger would lock up too like that, until I took a dremel to the back of the stock where the trigger sits and clearenced a little more room out. Doesn't do it anymore.

I just picked up a 700 SPS Varmint in .243 from Buds for $549 and its got the X-Mark trigger in it. I'm not sold on it yet, like the accutrigger better. The accutrigger at least "feels" dependable. I'm ordering a Bell and Carlson A5 Medalist stock for it tonight, can't stand the factory one (and the varmint factory is supposed to be better than the SPS stock).

If you want a detachable mag setup, got to stockysstocks.com and look at the Wyatts for $239 or the H-S Precision ones for $289.

Latest posts

Top Bottom