308 "sniper" rifle build need more opinions, plz

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff3C

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The HS DBMs are not good. For the money there are better solutions.

I have HS BM on 3 of my rifles and I completely disagree. While I do believe the Surgeon BM and the Badger BM is slightly better the HS is the best for the money (1/2 price of the other two). I have put each and everyone through plenty of use and none of them has failed me once.

If I was going to "upgrade" and 700 SPS I would go with a McMillan stock (A4 or A5) and a Shilen or Jewell Trigger to start. Shoot it until the barrel is worn and then rebarrel and have the action trued at the same time.

Spend money on the things that will make it more accurate (stock, trigger, barrel, action). Save the cosmetic stuff for last (bolt knob, bottom metal, paint, ect).

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have HS BM on 3 of my rifles and I completely disagree. While I do believe the Surgeon BM and the Badger BM is slightly better the HS is the best for the money (1/2 price of the other two). I have put each and everyone through plenty of use and none of them has failed me once.

If I was going to "upgrade" and 700 SPS I would go with a McMillan stock (A4 or A5) and a Shilen or Jewell Trigger to start. Shoot it until the barrel is worn and then rebarrel and have the action trued at the same time.

Que?

Badger's M5 isn't twice the price - they're usually well within $100 of each other.

Here's the best price I could find on HS Bottom Metal (short action 308 - $280):

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-381/H-dsh-S-Precision-Pro-dsh-Series-Steel/Detail

Here's a good deal on Badger's M5 (again in .308 - $335).

http://www.cstactical.com/Store/GUN...82-M5-Triggerguard-Short-Action.html?vmcchk=1

The HS Precision mags are usually more expensive than the Badger/AI mags and they're incompatible with the Badger/AI/CDI stuff.

Like was said, for the money, there's no reason to avoid going with a better Bottom Metal (the HS has been known to fail in the field on more than one occasion - not saying its a common thing, but for how little the difference is, I don't know why the upgrade wouldn't be a consideration up front).

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would rather have the extra bit of speed on the 26" barrel if you plan on shooting long distance. Plus I think the hogue stock is worse than the SPS stock.

Either one is a fine starting point but I would go SPS Varmint.

The SPS stock sucks (you can have mine if you want it). They're molded plastic and they're not bedded (or bedable that I can see).

The Hogue stock is bedded (aluminum I think?) and the extra barrel-length doesn't account for any accuracy out to the limit of the cartridge.

Not knowing what the OP wants to do with this "Sniper" rifle, its difficult to say what distance he's shooting, but you could cut it down to 18" and still do everything that a .308 would do without issue (and I'd take an 18" Hart barrel from Steve Baldwin any day over a 26" factory SPS Varmint barrel).

Jeff3C

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Que?

Badger's M5 isn't twice the price - they're usually well within $100 of each other.

Here's the best price I could find on HS Bottom Metal (short action 308 - $280):

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-381/H-dsh-S-Precision-Pro-dsh-Series-Steel/Detail

Here's a good deal on Badger's M5 (again in .308 - $335).

http://www.cstactical.com/Store/GUN...82-M5-Triggerguard-Short-Action.html?vmcchk=1

The HS Precision mags are usually more expensive than the Badger/AI mags and they're incompatible with the Badger/AI/CDI stuff.

Like was said, for the money, there's no reason to avoid going with a better Bottom Metal (the HS has been known to fail in the field on more than one occasion - not saying its a common thing, but for how little the difference is, I don't know why the upgrade wouldn't be a consideration up front).

OK OK... Not quite double. If you compare them both on midway the Badger is $121 more expensive. I agree the Badger is a superior product but if money doesn't grow on a tree for you I would recommend someone to buy the HS and spend the $121 on something else (like a new trigger).

By the way I have picked up my last 3 HS DMBs slightly used for under $175 each. I don't think they can be beat at that price is all I am saying.

Jeff3C

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The SPS stock sucks (you can have mine if you want it). They're molded plastic and they're not bedded (or bedable that I can see).

The Hogue stock is bedded (aluminum I think?) and the extra barrel-length doesn't account for any accuracy out to the limit of the cartridge.

Not knowing what the OP wants to do with this "Sniper" rifle, its difficult to say what distance he's shooting, but you could cut it down to 18" and still do everything that a .308 would do without issue (and I'd take an 18" Hart barrel from Steve Baldwin any day over a 26" factory SPS Varmint barrel).

I've got 2 SPS stocks myself someone can have. The Hogue stock is not bedded buy does have aluminum pillars which the SPS does not. I just personally do not like the rounded grip or the rubber feel to it. Either one is going to need replacing to get consistent results.

I have seen several 18" barrels reach 1000 yards however it was with a pretty hot load and the right powder. A 26" barrel would make it a little easier to get the needed speed if that is what the OP is planning on doing. The length of barrel should not make any difference in accuracy.

Here are a couple .308 that I have had that might give you some ideas of what your looking for. There are lots of good rifles out there and you won't go wrong with any of them.

Surgeon .308 w/ Broughton barrel and HS Stock

ai179.photobucket.com_albums_w291_Jeff3C_IMG_5846.jpg

SPS Varmint with a HS Precision stock.
ai179.photobucket.com_albums_w291_Jeff3C_IMG_5653.jpg

700 Police (basically same gun as above but with a fluted barrel)

ai179.photobucket.com_albums_w291_Jeff3C_IMG_5912.jpg

Factory SPS Tactical with the Hogue stock

ai179.photobucket.com_albums_w291_Jeff3C_IMG_5838.jpg

MadDawg

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Larry-
way I heard it the change was made because some snobby types didnt like the look of the old nut. FYI Sharpshooter supply sells the old style nut and the demand for the blued version is tremendous.

There are many forums that love to bash a rifle or two, remember the 'bad' sako barrel posts that swept the forums a few years ago? Then of course the stainless barrel blow-ups.

cant say the interwebz are full of savage done me wrong posts, and i'm sure gunsmiths would be eager to post them all. With the bolt lug baffle I'd say the action is much safer than other types.

headspacing to be safe isnt difficult, can be done with a dummy round. Headspacing to get the most accuracy takes a bit more effort, but again easy enough with the simple savage system.

Of course the old saying is applicable-
You can make it fool resistant, but never fool proof.

One of the messed up accu-triggers was in the tupperware stock and one in the enhanced FLCP-K. A local member of LE owns it, will check and see if the stock on the more pricey rifle is binding the trigger. Second problem with every accutrigger appears to be if you trip the steel trigger without engaging the center stripe the trigger wedges.

Anyone else have that happen?

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen several 18" barrels reach 1000 yards however it was with a pretty hot load and the right powder. A 26" barrel would make it a little easier to get the needed speed if that is what the OP is planning on doing. The length of barrel should not make any difference in accuracy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15qj032UJ1I

HS used Lon Horiuchi for a spokesman their BM is not worth anywhere near 200. I'm glad you like it, they wouldn't get a dime from me.

What exactly is "plenty of use"?

Latest posts

Top Bottom