86 Nissan Stanza A/C questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

My 86 stanza barely runs the A/C as it because of the electrical requirements, but it just isn't very cold. I have the service manual for it that talks about the A/C system.

My questions are for someone who knows:

1. What type of refrigerant can I put into it that is available?

2. Do you need special tools to do this? I can see the silver tubes and they have a viewing window and what looks like a place where I can connect into them.

Thanks,

Alan

ultimase

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's never been converted then you're likely an R12 system, if that's the case you'll need to use r12 or equivalent (freeze 12) or convert it to r134.

The main thing here is since the system is a pressurized system it has to be sealed. If your A/C isn't working because it's low on coolant then there's likely a leak somewhere. So if you pressurize it again it will eventually leak again.

R134 you can purchase at any automotive store to just top off. R12 you need a specific license to do so. I'm unclear if you need a license for freeze 12 (edit it looks like you do need a certification).

http://www.amazon.com/Freeze-12-Refrigerant-Replacement-12oz-Cans/dp/B002EQKP2Q

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last time I checked anyone could buy Freeze-12 but it's hard to find locally. I bought two cases off eBay to be sure I had a good supply for my old pick up.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I dug out the service manual and it talks about a sight glass that you can use to see bubbles. The manual makes it seem like you can see the bubbles going by, but when I looked at it on the car it looked more like a coffee pot percolating. It is definitely loaded with bubbles so I suspect it is low on refrigerant. It is 25 years old...

Also, I hadn't noticed this before, but today after turning it off I heard a noise coming from where the AC box is on the inside, it sounded like a wooshing of the refrigerant inside the box I am guessing. No odd smells or anything, just the sound. Hadn't noticed it before.

Thanks,

Alan

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^ Both of those symptoms are an indication of a low charge. You dont want to see bubbles in the glass, and a lot of expansion valves will become noisey from a low charge too. What you are hearing is the bubbles passing through the expansion valve due to a low charge.

When the charge is at the proper level (or near) the sight glass should be clear, you might see a sporadic bubble or two. Using the sight glass for charging the system is tricky and not exact, I suggest using guages and it helps to monitor discharge temps at the vent.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been keeping this one running here and there. Biggest problem I've had has been keeping it making power. I've probably had 4 alternators on it. You sure can see out of it though, I wish all cars had the visibility it does.

I'll see what I can do on the refrigerant. It is OLD so I am confident it has old R12 in it.

Thanks,

Alan

Latest posts

Top Bottom