9 or 40

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

57 Nomad

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am new to firearms and I would like to know if I should start out with a 9MM or learn with a 40. Any suggestions? I will be taking instructions and learning how to handle and shoot but trying to decide on caliber.

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Find a gun that is comfortable in your hands first, then choose what caliber you want, a 9mm and a 40 do not have that big of a difference in felt recoil. The 9mm is easy to find and cheaper than the 40.

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am new to firearms and I would like to know if I should start out with a 9MM or learn with a 40. Any suggestions? I will be taking instructions and learning how to handle and shoot but trying to decide on caliber.

with a Glock 23/22 you can shoot 3 calibers with a drop in Lone Wolf barrel.

9mm would be cheaper to shoot.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
9mm hands down. You can shoot almost 50% more for the same cost. With less recoil, you're more likely to improve your proficiency while developing fewer bad habits.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Find a gun that is comfortable in your hands first, then choose what caliber you want, a 9mm and a 40 do not have that big of a difference in felt recoil. The 9mm is easy to find and cheaper than the 40.

Says it all right there.:thumbup3:

I carry a .40, but I learned to shoot with a .45, so I downgraded on recoil. 9mm is going to be a few bucks cheaper to shoot (per box of 50 rounds).

But gun comfort is very important. And loaded with a quality defense load 9m is very much adequate.

99TROUBLE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would recomend going to a local range that rents weapons & see what fits you best. I personally would carry the largest caliber that I could accuratly shoot. If you plan on carrying your weapon in a concelment situation that can change the whole situation to how much you are willing to spend, as the guns get smaller w/ lg caliber the prices go up for a good quality weapon.
NEVER SKIMP ON QUALITY ,IT IS YOUR LIFE YOU ARE PUTTING A PRICE ON !!!
Ask lots of questions on here before you settle on purchasing anything.Just because it looks good or is a NAME BRAND doesnt mean it is allways the best choice .There are lots of good quality weapons out there for fair prices ,just as there are some lower quality [or guns w/ issues ] weapons that are over priced.

landman873

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not both i have both and also 45. I can pick and choose what i want each day. But i would say get the glock 23 and drop in barrels like stated.

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have an XDM and love it. mines in the 9mm. LOW recoil and cheap shooting! that means alot of trigger time. some home defense rounds can be MEAN. ive shot both the 9 and 40 and there really isnt much recoil difference. If you plan to shoot much I highly recommend the 9mm

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since your new to handguns.
And depending on if you have enough cash to go to another caliber, one needs to think about what you want to use the hand gun for. Target, plinking, or self defense?

Self defense, I'd go with the .40, but for plinking, the 9MM will work.
Me? .45ACP

Latest posts

Top Bottom