9 or 40

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me? .45ACP...1911,.....but I have a GLOCK27 that shoots a 9 inch plate at 30 yds. That may not win me any prizes, but it is Center Mass. Learn what the largest your comfortable with, then learn to shoot it Well.:bye:

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No matter what you buy, you're going to catch a disease. This disease is incurable and highly contagious. It has many names. Some call it PAD (Pistol Acquisition Disorder). You will become unable to control yourself when presented with a good deal on a handgun. You will buy one. You will buy another. You may sell some to buy more. But remember, once you have this disease, it will never ever go away.

So ultimately, it doesn't really matter which you choose as your first gun. You're going to eventually end up with more than one.

I personally like a 5" 1911 more than anything else. Unfortunately due to financial issues, I had to sell it, so currently a G26 is my ccw.
I have bought and sold many many handguns. The best advice I can give you is to try a whole slew of different handguns and then just go buy one.

A good starting place would be with a Ruger Mk III or a Browning Buckmark. They are affordable handguns and offer cheap .22 shooting. .22 handguns are perfect to teaching correct trigger control, sight picture, etc.

Next, I'd go 9mm. Cost of target ammo is the main reason I say this. You should practice a good deal to get technique down. This means a lot of shooting. The more you save on ammo is the more you can spend on training.

Next, I would suggest the following: (I select these in order of my own personal preference, ease of use, aftermarket availability of parts, simplicity in method of operation, and price consideration).

Glock 26/19/17/34
S&W M&P9c/M&P/M&PL
Springfield XDsc/XD/XDm
Walther PPS/P99c/P99
CZ PCR/P-01/75/85/SP-01
HK P2000sk/P2000/USPc/USP
SIG P239/P250/P228/P229/P226/SigPro
Beretta 92/M9/Px4
Kahr PM9/MK9/CW9/P9/T9/K9

There are others, but the above lists the most generally suggested models.

Of the above, my top suggestions would be the Glock 19 and the M&P9.

Good luck with the search! :)

specialfx78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you start asking if chili should be with or without beans, I'm calling shenanigans.

That being said. My personal preference is 9mm because I can afford to shoot more. You won't go wrong either way as long as you get something that you can practice with often and carry comfortably.

ETA: XDMs are great guns. I have no experience with FNs.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
As others have already posted, start out your training with a .22lr. Learn all your basic marksmanship skill's there. Once you've accomplished that, then move up to a larger caliber. As far as to caliber, the 9MM is fine, and with modern ammo is plenty effective as a defensive round, plus your practice ammo will be cheaper. As to the firearm itself, that will be the one that fits you the best.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The .40 really snappy. For the new shooter the 9mm would be my choice hands down. As you get some seat time than move up if you wish. Really the 9mm with the modern ammo is all you need although I carry a .40 or .45. The recoil of these guns to a new shooter could case you to flench and that's hard to break. I always started with a .22 LR and moved up with a new shooter in my family.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Find a gun that is comfortable in your hands first, then choose what caliber you want, a 9mm and a 40 do not have that big of a difference in felt recoil. The 9mm is easy to find and cheaper than the 40.

I can't believe he said that, very good Prophet.:laugh6:

9mm hands down. You can shoot almost 50% more for the same cost. With less recoil, you're more likely to improve your proficiency while developing fewer bad habits.

And normally more available, good advice.:thumb:

I would recomend going to a local range that rents weapons & see what fits you best.

Sound advice also. :thumb:

LOW recoil and cheap shooting! that means alot of trigger time.

Practice makes perfect. :thumb:

, one needs to think about what you want to use the hand gun for. Target, plinking, or self defense?

Important issue that you should address early.

. The renting advice is a good one.

See here's someone else reccomending this, must be a good idea.

Another great piece of advice. Quality training will dramatically improve your enjoyment and ability.

I would start with a 22. cheep to shoot hardly any recoil always fun to shoot

If you can come up with the coins this is good also.
Can't beat a cheap plinker.

If you want to 57 I can take you out and let you shoot the FNP, XDM in 9mm and a 1911 in .45. Then you can rent a .40

This represents the idea behind a internet community.
Members helping newcomers into the hobby.
And people wonder why we get excited about people who only come here to sell thier stuff.

No matter what you buy, you're going to catch a disease. This disease is incurable and highly contagious.

Man ain't that the truth.

Hopefully you'll take some of this free advice.
Hopefully you'll come back and join us on a regular basis.

Welcome to OSA.

Latest posts

Top Bottom