9 or 40

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
start out with
I never understand this. I think you should find something that fits your hand and that you are comfortable with then learn to shoot with that instead of 'building up' to something else you will have to buy later. A .45 may be what you start out with,or you may really like that XD subcompact 9mm and hit great groups with it and it become your choice of carry. The renting advice is a good one. For me its availability of ammo,what I shoot the best with,etcetc- which means having a variety of different firearms for different uses.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never understand this. I think you should find something that fits your hand and that you are comfortable with then learn to shoot with that instead of 'building up' to something else you will have to buy later. A .45 may be what you start out with,or you may really like that XD subcompact 9mm and hit great groups with it and it become your choice of carry. The renting advice is a good one. For me its availability of ammo,what I shoot the best with,etcetc- which means having a variety of different firearms for different uses.

I agree with this. Do as much research as you feel necessary to make a well informed decision for yourself in that you have chosen the best weapon to find your needs. Don't get something simply for the purpose of building up to something else. Obviously, if, after you've made your purchase, at some time later you decide you want to change, that's fine, but don't go into it planning on doing that. It will only cost you more in the long run.

schlockinz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Find one that fits above all else, and see what calibers fit. Then rent those guns at a range, or find friends with them and shoot them. Take the right combination of power, accuracy, and comfort.

If you are going to carry, think about the size. I'll carry a 1911 from time to time, but thats a big heavy pistol.

As far as which caliber. They'll both stop people. The 9mm will be cheaper to practice with and your gun may hold more rounds. If price isn't an option, and you are not recoil sensitive, I'd go with a 10mm. If price is a factor, you'll probably be more likely to spend the time with a 9mm to become proficient since its cheap to shoot.

As for kick, my 1911 will recoil less than my friends CCW 9mm (can't remember which model he has)

99TROUBLE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once you decide on caliber I wouldnt buy anything except what you want,even if you have to wait till you can afford it you will be happy you waited .
I love my XD's & XDM IN .40 & 9mm ,that being said XD40SC w/ Winchester PDX1's is primary carry & you would be suprised w/ practice how accurate this shorty is.:gun2:

OologahBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe you said you are new to shooting and are wanting to learn how to handle and to shoot if you are that green or even if you are not I would start with a 22. cheep to shoot hardly any recoil always fun to shoot I am not saying that large calibers aren't fun to shoot because they are it just alot funner and you will do it more if it doesn't break the bank to go shooting of course a 22 is not a good carry weapon but I didn't see you say anything about wanting it for a carry weapon but no mater what caliber you get if it is not comfortable for you to shoot and/or it is too expensive for you to shoot it will become a nice paper weight

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my XD's & XDM IN .40 & 9mm ,that being said XD40SC w/ Winchester PDX1's is primary carry & you would be suprised w/ practice how accurate this shorty is.:gun2:

Not at all, I watched Traxxis shoot several stages of the Steel Challenge on Sunday with a Beretta Bobcat. I was impressed to say the least.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe you said you are new to shooting and are wanting to learn how to handle and to shoot if you are that green or even if you are not I would start with a 22. cheep to shoot hardly any recoil always fun to shoot I am not saying that large calibers aren't fun to shoot because they are it just alot funner and you will do it more if it doesn't break the bank to go shooting of course a 22 is not a good carry weapon but I didn't see you say anything about wanting it for a carry weapon but no mater what caliber you get if it is not comfortable for you to shoot and/or it is too expensive for you to shoot it will become a nice paper weight

Punctuation is your friend.

PITT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to 57 I can take you out and let you shoot the FNP, XDM in 9mm and a 1911 in .45. Then you can rent a .40 and see if you like that more. Ive shot both and prefer the XDm myself but as has been stated before, find something thats comfy and go from there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom