A new bolt gun build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavrick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been picking up parts as of late and gotten some good deals over at the hide. So far I have a Mike Rock M24/M40 5R 1-8 twist 6.5 barrel, Picked up a real nice used USO ST-10 MOA, got a used AICS already set up for a Surgeon 591, I am still waiting on the 591 from Brownells its back ordered but I did get in before the price hike.

I would like some input on a few things.. I have pretty much decided to go 260 remington but I am open to the 6.5 creedmoore and the 6.5x47 lupua do you guys have any input on caliber selection. I plan on using the 130-142g pills.

I also would like some input on a smith to put it all together I am leaning towards GAP but have heard good things about Jon Benland but he is just west of Altus and Steve is in OKC area. GAP is in KC and from Tulsa its not to bad on shipping.

I have read a few good articles over at demigod and just cant pull the trigger. I figure while I am waiting on the action I can ask you guys some questions
http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/

The gun will be used for paper punching and steel targets out to 600-700 when I get the chance and mainly around 3-400. I mainly use the USSA 300 yard range for pratice.

any input would help
Dustin

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been happy with Steve Baldwin on two different rifles now, but I wouldn't feel too bad about using GAP over him - they've got their reputation for a reason.

I know two different folks who own Crusaders and one other that has a GAP-built Surgeon action (and I forget if its a Kreiger or Broughton barrel). The extra mile that GAP goes when installing/fitting is well worth it.

My biggest problem has always been the wait - I'm impatient, so I stick with Steve for now (and he's an old high-school classmate of my father's).

What trigger are you going to use?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was leaning jewel but I am open to input I have a Jard and Timiney on other guns and like them both.

Dustin

From what I've read on the Hide (and from what I've heard from other folks), the Jewell is a great feeling super-nice adjustable trigger, but not durable enough to last against any serious use.

I've been very happy with my Timneys - but to be fair, one of them only has a few hundred rounds through it.

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mavrick, sounds like a most excellent build,

what is your barrel length??

Do you plan on shooting F Class ??

I would like to give it a try.Keep us posted

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you have accumulated some fine components for your build.

As to which caliber a friend has a .260 Rem and it is a fine caliber and he has a 6.5 Creedmoor and he is selling the .260 Rem and keeping the Creedmoor for a couple of reasons. The quality of brass available for the .260 is marginal, if you want good brass you will have to buy Lapua .243 brass and neck it up then turn the necks (alot of work). Currently there is no quality factory loaded ammo for the .260 which goes back to the brass issue. If you want to load 139-142 grain rounds to the lands the OAL will not fit in a short action magazine.
Hornady makes excellent factory loads for the 6.5 creedmoor (my friends rifle shot .25 to .33 moa 5 round groups with the factory loads) and the brass he has left over is very good quality brass and lastly you can load 139-142 grain bullets to the lands and the rounds will still feed from a .308 magazine.

I hope this info helps you decide which is best for you.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had good experiences with the 6.5X55 round over the past 40 years. Had my first rifle built on a Remington 721 action. It proved adequate for deer (whitetail, blacktail and mule), elk, caribou and sheep. I have owned several and now have a CZ 550 FS. The old Swede round is hard to beat and brass is readily available.

mavrick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as barrrel length I plan on about 24 inch as a nice balance between handy and Muzzel velocity. With my blank I could go out to 26 inch.

I have read about the brass issue but Norma and Nosler both have good brass for the 260 at about a $1 a pop. The remington brass is hit or miss and I would be willing to bet Lapua will come to market with some 260 in the near future.

When I was planning on using a old 30-06 LA I had laying around I was going to go 6.5x55 but I went ahead and got the Surgeon 591 SA for ease of use and commonality in DBM with my AICS 308.

Thanks for the info on the triggers I am still up in the air.

I dont know what to think about F class for one thing I dont think I bought enough scope for 1k yards but I would not mind running some 600y matches. I just like banging steel and shooting for groups at 1-300 yards

The only thing that scares me about the Creedmoore is it seems like everything is always backordered. But that seems like everything is that way any more. I need to do some more reading on caliber selection its not like I dont have time the 591 is about a week or two out from what I hear from brownells I am just glad I got locked in before the $200 price hike

mavrick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are some pics of some of the parts so far.

ai571.photobucket.com_albums_ss157_dustintc00k_dustin011_2.jpg

ai571.photobucket.com_albums_ss157_dustintc00k_dustin014_1.jpg

ai571.photobucket.com_albums_ss157_dustintc00k_dustin015.jpg

My 5r 308
ai571.photobucket.com_albums_ss157_dustintc00k_dustin004.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom