A Public Service Announcement for bicyclists.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While on the road from silverton to ouray, CO this summer I had a bicyclist pass me and several other cars going down hill. He did so in hairpin turns, no passing zones, and weaving in between cars. Don't tell me you haven't ever seen a bicycle doing anything illegal. I see it all the time and I'm not in a "bicyclist" area.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For those who decided to ignore the point of my original post, this guy RAN A STOP SIGN. Even on a bicycle it's AGAINST THE LAW. I was upset because I COULD HAVE KILLED HIM. I DO NOT WANT TO KILL HIM. I WANT HIM TO GO HOME TO HIS WIFE AND KIDS. He will be unable to do this if he's being an idiot, ignores a four-way stop and plows into someone's car.

As for the rest of you, Dennishoddy is worth 150 points. :)

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
First off, I have no real issues with bicyclists on each and every road they are legally allowed IF they obey the traffic laws. I travel the roads in the NE part of Oklahoma county Harrah,Jones, Luther quite a bit.

Some of have said they have not witnessed bicyclists violating the laws. I offer the following observations

Almost without fail on those days where the weather is conducive to bike riding I witness the running of stop signs and my personal pet peeve below......

A bicyclist shall not ride beside more than one other bicyclist on a roadway, except in those areas designated as exclusive for bicycle use. (Title 47 § 11-1205) Unless riding on a bike path or bike lane, signed for the exclusive use of bicycles, bicyclists should not ride more than two abreast.

A number times on Britton Road and quite often on what is called Hogback Road, a large number of cyclists riding three or more abreast. Admittedly it is not each and every time I see a group of cyclists, but enough to give the cycling community a bad impression.

THIS is what irritates me as a driver in a car or truck....

Cyclists have every right to be on the road, but if you don't want to irritate the drivers don't run the stop signs and don't impede traffic by riding more than two abreast as state law requires.

I understand your frustration... But it's impossible to understand our frustration as cyclists with laws like the ones above. It's similar to a congress-critter creating legislation about subject-matter they're oblivious to that restricts whatever it is for whatever reason they think is necessary. Always riding 2 abreast is impossible and that's why this law is stupid. We do what we can but just like other humans in the world, we're limited by our imperfections.

I don't expect anyone to understand until they get in the saddle and ride. The expectations of a cyclist are beyond reach.

I guarantee you, if you put other motorists under the same microscope cyclists are put under we'd have an endless thread of what we saw this or that motorist do that was illegal. A lot of us would also have to plead the 5th so we wouldn't incriminate ourselves.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
While on the road from silverton to ouray, CO this summer I had a bicyclist pass me and several other cars going down hill. He did so in hairpin turns, no passing zones, and weaving in between cars. Don't tell me you haven't ever seen a bicycle doing anything illegal. I see it all the time and I'm not in a "bicyclist" area.

Don't tell me you haven't ever seen a motorist doing anything illegal. I see it all the time.

Beerzerker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those who decided to ignore the point of my original post, this guy RAN A STOP SIGN. Even on a bicycle it's AGAINST THE LAW. I was upset because I COULD HAVE KILLED HIM. I DO NOT WANT TO KILL HIM. I WANT HIM TO GO HOME TO HIS WIFE AND KIDS. He will be unable to do this if he's being an idiot, ignores a four-way stop and plows into someone's car.

As for the rest of you, Dennishoddy is worth 150 points. :)

I understood your post, and I agree that you were in the right, and that it is frustrating when people think the rules shouldn't apply to them.

I guess it comes down to some people should not be in operation of much more than a pair of sneakers cause its the same guy that drives like ****, who doesn't ride safely, or doesn't check when walking across the street.

Latest posts

Top Bottom