A question for all Members of OSA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soonr80

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with those who see the teachers union on the other side of this, they would comprise the greatest obstacle. A teachers first concern should be to secure the kids then engage a shooter if confronted.

Of everything I've heard or read since Newtown, this makes more sense to me.

http://www.policeone.com/active-sho...inutemen-can-protect-against-active-shooters/

I would volunteer my time to guard our kids, in school or on the bus.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By now I'm sure that we've all heard that the Newtown school's principal and psychologist both rushed toward Adam Lanza when they realized what he was doing. Both of them killed, both unarmed. We can only wonder what might have happened had they been armed. JB, I don't care what others say about you on OSA; in my book, you are a stand-up guy!

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would happily donate what I could. I might not come up with a lot of cash, but I would certainly give of my time. This got me to thinking (even before the Minuteman post) ... I would glady get CLEET-certified at my own expense and volunteer as a guard, plainclothes or otherwise, at our schools. Maybe we could stop some of this nonsense before these characters even get inside the school ... let alone the classroom.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have kids, and some people might think I have no 'dog in this race' when it comes to this, but if it would help, I'd gladly use my remaining GI Bill benefits to get CLEET certified if schools needed more people to help out. I think we are at a time in this country where an armed presence is going to be required at schools. It's sad its come to that, but kids shouldn't be scared to go to school.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will pledge $1000 per year for training efforts. Ongoing as long as I live in this state.

I will gladly obtain whatever certification is deemed to be required in the state of Oklahoma, even become a reserve officer with city or county if needed, so that I can carry on school property and assist by donating my time to patrol during the school day. Ditto for sporting events and/or field trips. I will also become a firearms instructor and teach both self-defense and school-defense classes and first aid to anyone who is affiliated with the school system or wishes to join the volunteer patrol (if allowed). I wish I could think of something else I could do... I will keep an open mind.

I will also encourage other parents to do the same.

Unfortunately, I do not think this is going to happen... I will be emailing states reps and senators to try to get more legislation introduced to make our schools safer. These bills should, IMO, be limited in their scope for each one. First, teachers and administrators and other employees should be trained and allowed to carry. Second, the Oklahoma SDA should be amended to allow permit holders to carry on-campus. The laws currently are way too restrictive on this point. Thirdly, we need more officers available, especially for school-duty. Fourth, funding for significantly beefed-up physical and electronic security - heavier doors, glass and locks, electronic lockdown capabilities, those kinds of things.

And last but most assuredly not least.... MORE MENTAL HEALTH FUNDING. The no-brainer in the equation.

I think we as OSA should begin letter-writing/e-mail campaigns on these important topics not just to our state legislators, but to our local newspapers as well... get the rest of the community behind it, writing to our legislators as well. Snowball effect, essentially. Nothing in this world should be more important to us than our children, and if we aren't willing to give up our time and energy to make sure they are protected, then what good are we, really, anyway?

Latest posts

Top Bottom