A question for Military

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skruball253

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the M9. Its a good gun. Durable, easy to shoot, accurate, easy to take apart and maintain. Yes, the grip can be a bit bulky for those with small hands. Yes, the slide will cut you if you are not holding it right while shooting. Yet, they will take a beating and keep going. I own one also.

okmic1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He most likely hates it because everyone told him too. One of the more common reasons people hate the M9 is the pistol grip is rather large. The M9 is a fine pistol. It is quite durable. Most soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines beat up all the equipment they are given. Also in order to get a government contract the M9 had to go through more tests than most pistols on the market today.
That was the impression I got from my son too. He had one while serving as a corpsman with the Marines. His main gripe seemed to be that it was a 9mm instead of a .45.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I liked the M9 just fine. Super easy to shoot. It's a duty weapon not a CCW so the fact that it’s not small doesn’t mean the same thing it does to me now. I bet if they were issued 1911’s they’d ***** about capacity, recoil and qualifying Sharpshooter rather than Expert. People whine no matter what. I’ll take a 1911, M9, M11 whatever. With no disrespect to John Moses Browning, it’s just a tool and possesses no mythological characteristics.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't like them because they replaced my favorite 1911A1 with one in early 1988. Large size for caliber, new trigger pull to learn, 9mm ball tends to zip thru people without immediate effects, didn't run well when wet- then frozen, rumors of slides cracking, some mags (w/ plastic baseplates) get damaged if ejected on floors when still half full, dirt/sand issues, etc.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It isn't M9 vs. 1911 for most folks these days. I know it comes as a shock to the 1911 guys, but there are other guns out there that serve as viable options to the M9 LOL!, and size does matter...especially when you are wearing and carrying 70lbs of crap already, and stuffed into the turret of a HMMWV.

I would've rather had a Glock 26 on my vest or hip, but everyone has their favorite flavor and you have to make do with what you get issued.

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Probably because they are worn out junkers.

We had the 1911 when i was in, and they were WWII relics that had no bluing and rattled like a bucket full of rocks when you shook them. Not accurate at all. I thought all 1911s were that way until I fired a NIB one and thought "what a difference to the old POS's I was issued"

batchman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably because they are worn out junkers.

We had the 1911 when i was in, and they were WWII relics that had no bluing and rattled like a bucket full of rocks when you shook them. Not accurate at all. I thought all 1911s were that way until I fired a NIB one and thought "what a difference to the old POS's I was issued"

That is a good point as I have never fired another 92F except my issued m9, but given the choice I will stick to my Glock 21!

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He most likely hates it because everyone told him too. One of the more common reasons people hate the M9 is the pistol grip is rather large. The M9 is a fine pistol. It is quite durable. Most soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines beat up all the equipment they are given. Also in order to get a government contract the M9 had to go through more tests than most pistols on the market today.

This. (Retired Marine who did the transition fom the 1911 to the M9).

Latest posts

Top Bottom