A SWAT Raid Based On Faulty Info Kills a Man Over His ‘Huge Stash.’ Worth Maybe $2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't really see this as a 'pro' or 'anti' cop issue, though. In fact, i would think that the police would be the first in line to take issue with how they are being used. These types of tactics are being used more and more (and one could argue they are used to justify the military gear departments are acquiring) instead of older methods of, say, arresting someone in daylight as they leave their house.

I'm not an expert (and wont pretend to be one), but it seems like there are too many things that can go wrong to be relying on unsubstantiated information.

I don't blame the cops for shooting the guy. As was stated, they deserve to make it home at the end of the day. But, as with other cases, if the cops make a mistake, why isn't the home-owner justified in defending him or her self? Again, it's not a cop vs anti issue. It's a 'should this be how we operate' issue.

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm very pro-cop. However....

... when I hear about one getting shot during a no knock I can't help but think "keep it up ya dumba**es." I hope they figure out what a poor (in about a dozen ways) concept it is. I hope I'm on a jury one day where they are trying to hang it in some poor homeowners butt for having shot a cop during a no knock.
the homeowner will not survive the encounter....

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Commando tactics to enter my house or anyone elses house need to be re-visited. Even a drug dealer could get excited with someone pounding his door open and pick up a weapon to protect his stash from other bad guys. He might peacefully surrender to police without getting shot. Forcing anyone innocent or guilty to fear for their life by a door busting open and make a split second decision to protect their life should not be an every day occurance.

Yes, criminals should be arrested, but mistakes will happen with this type of tactic. Guilty or innocent the outcome will likely be the same.

I hope every LEO system has my address correct in their system. The Post Office had it wrong for a while.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the homeowner will not survive the encounter....

They have. I've read two stories I can think of where a cop or two was shot (I think one killed in one of the instances) and the occupant was taken into custody and charged with murder.

I don't think a no knock is a way to improve the chances of a police officer going home unharmed. In the U.S. you're asking for lead coming your way before you have the chance to pull a trigger. And yes, they have no knocked the wrong house before. Doesn't seem to fit "Serve and Protect". Seems to more closely fit "Stalinist Tactics and Procedures".

And it aint the rank and file cop that dreams up and impliments these tactics. They are just the foot soldier ordered to carry them out. The responsibilty is on the shoulders of those much further up the chain. They are the ones I criticize. I only know two police officers, chat with them once or twice a month. They both object to no-knocks completely, but they follow orders.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't really see this as a 'pro' or 'anti' cop issue, though. In fact, i would think that the police would be the first in line to take issue with how they are being used. These types of tactics are being used more and more (and one could argue they are used to justify the military gear departments are acquiring) instead of older methods of, say, arresting someone in daylight as they leave their house.

I'm not an expert (and wont pretend to be one), but it seems like there are too many things that can go wrong to be relying on unsubstantiated information.

I don't blame the cops for shooting the guy. As was stated, they deserve to make it home at the end of the day. But, as with other cases, if the cops make a mistake, why isn't the home-owner justified in defending him or her self? Again, it's not a cop vs anti issue. It's a 'should this be how we operate' issue.

When the raid is founded on faulty intel and lack of restraint, the murder of the occupant should fall on the raid planner, not the point man. If that were the standard, we'd have about a 90% reduction in the use of no-knock (and knock & smash) warrants for non violent offenses. Seems to me that would be a good thing. :anyone:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When the raid is founded on faulty intel and lack of restraint, the murder of the occupant should fall on the raid planner, not the point man. If that were the standard, we'd have about a 90% reduction in the use of no-knock (and knock & smash) warrants for non violent offenses. Seems to me that would be a good thing. :anyone:

I agree. The person that arbitrarily says lets hit this house with a no-knock should bear the ultimate responsibly.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Just following orders is BS. Each cop, as well as the planner should be charged and prosecuted, Everytime.

Just because your boss or DA or Judge tells you to do something and then that something turns out bad......well maybe you should check for yourself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom