A SWAT Raid Based On Faulty Info Kills a Man Over His ‘Huge Stash.’ Worth Maybe $2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In fact, i would think that the police would be the first in line to take issue with how they are being used.
If that were true, you'd see the police refusing to do them.
These types of tactics are being used more and more (and one could argue they are used to justify the military gear departments are acquiring) instead of older methods of, say, arresting someone in daylight as they leave their house.
Plus, it's a whole lot easier and quicker to bash down a door and start shooting based on a single tip (or none at all; see, e.g., Kathryn Johnston) than to do some actual police work and investigate.
I don't blame the cops for shooting the guy. As was stated, they deserve to make it home at the end of the day. But, as with other cases, if the cops make a mistake, why isn't the home-owner justified in defending him or her self? Again, it's not a cop vs anti issue. It's a 'should this be how we operate' issue.
Doesn't the homeowner--who didn't volunteer for dangerous duty also deserve to live through the day? Especially when the police could have avoided the issue by doing their jobs without using violence as a first resort?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just following orders is BS. Each cop, as well as the planner should be charged and prosecuted, Everytime.

Just because your boss or DA or Judge tells you to do something and then that something turns out bad......well maybe you should check for yourself.

While that would be nice, that's how it works in exactly no police agency, anywhere, ever. The point man in a stack is the point man specifically because that's his specialty. It's the guy getting the warrant and planning the raid that bears the ultimate responsibility. No reasonable person would expect the point man to vet everything and approve or deny the raid. That's the lead/supervisor's job.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
While that would be nice, that's how it works in exactly no police agency, anywhere, ever. The point man in a stack is the point man specifically because that's his specialty. It's the guy getting the warrant and planning the raid that bears the ultimate responsibility. No reasonable person would expect the point man to vet everything and approve or deny the raid. That's the lead/supervisor's job.

So charge them all with accessory to murder, excessive force, breaking and entering, destruction of property.....there's plenty of felony charges they should all be charged with. From Judge/DA right down to the point man.

There is zero excuse for law enforcement to not get serving any warrant right everytime. Knock or no knock, get it right or be charged and prosecuted with crimes.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont even know what $2.00 worth of pot is. A gram of most any half way decent strain is now $25 most every where, even in states where it isnt legal yet (state, not federal). Except for schwag and thats almost non existent now with the good stuff so easily available. From what I have heard anyways, FSIK. But, in states where any amount is illegal like in Oklahoma then even a nanogram would be illegal to possess. And a 2nd possession charge of ANY AMOUNT is a felony. Any amount. But to die over a stupid tip that turned out to be not even a bongload, thats seriously fckd up.

http://norml.org/laws/item/oklahoma-penalties-2

Saw on the news several days ago where a guy bought a truck and brought it to a shop to have the air flow repaired and the service tech found mega pounds of weed stashed under the dash when they took the dash apart. The techs called the cops and a check of records showed the previous owners had been busted with pounds of weed found in the rear in hiding places but they didnt ever find the stash under the dash. The dude had been driving around with it and didnt know it, he bought it with it under there. (I have checked the vehicles Ive bought used lately and gladly no weed stashed. Wheww that would suck.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't really see this as a 'pro' or 'anti' cop issue, though. In fact, i would think that the police would be the first in line to take issue with how they are being used. These types of tactics are being used more and more (and one could argue they are used to justify the military gear departments are acquiring) instead of older methods of, say, arresting someone in daylight as they leave their house.

I'm not an expert (and wont pretend to be one), but it seems like there are too many things that can go wrong to be relying on unsubstantiated information.

I don't blame the cops for shooting the guy. As was stated, they deserve to make it home at the end of the day. But, as with other cases, if the cops make a mistake, why isn't the home-owner justified in defending him or her self? Again, it's not a cop vs anti issue. It's a 'should this be how we operate' issue.

And the homeowner? If cops want to "make it home at the end of the day", maybe they oughtta refuse to kick in doors for a non-violent, non-life-threatening alleged violation. I'm with Lurker - charge every one of them.

If I commit a crime while working for my company, you reckon the cops(or the FAA) will say, "oh, no sweat, you violated import/export laws, but we understand you were just doing your job"?

Probably not.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
And the homeowner? If cops want to "make it home at the end of the day", maybe they oughtta refuse to kick in doors for a non-violent, non-life-threatening alleged violation. I'm with Lurker - charge every one of them.

If I commit a crime while working for my company, you reckon the cops(or the FAA) will say, "oh, no sweat, you violated import/export laws, but we understand you were just doing your job"?

Probably not.
Are you trollin?

Trollin' again?
No I'm bashing cops for busting down doors and shooting people.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Probably not.

I totally agree and my point was that this issue doesn't start with the cops entering the house and shooting. The discussion has to start with questioning the needs and tactics BEFORE they bust through the door.

The reality is, when cops go in like this (and especially to the wrong house), both sides are likely to start shooting to 'defend themselves'.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Probably not.

I totally agree and my point was that this issue doesn't start with the cops entering the house and shooting. The discussion has to start with questioning the needs and tactics BEFORE they bust through the door.

The reality is, when cops go in like this (and especially to the wrong house), both sides are likely to start shooting to 'defend themselves'.

And the cops go home safe and the citizen gets dead......and this is ok as long as you don't bash cops. Or troll.

Latest posts

Top Bottom