About To Get A New Bow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
And it's gonna be the Mathews No Cam HTR. I've had the Elite Synergy since 06 and am ready to replace it. It's been a great bow and I killed a buck and some other critters with it last year but it's time to retire it from the woods. I'm debating selling it but I'm kind of attached. haha

Really looking forward to the Mathews No Cam. Shot one over the weekend and really enjoyed it. Smooth, quiet and fast enough. I'm going to try to get my arrow weight as close to 5 grains per pound as possible so I can get as much speed out of it as possible. At 70 pound draw and 29 or 29.5 draw length I should be able to achieve 300+ FPS. We'll see.

Anyone else bought a new bow lately? What did you get?

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Those are heavy grains for only 5 in a pound. :-) That is on the light side for hunting deer.

I've just gone by IBO at 5 grains per pound of pull which puts the total arrow weight at 350... Of course this doesn't count for the things on the string such as the peep and d-loop. It generates enough KE for whitetail and also keeps the speed demon part of me happy. :)

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't shot one. I've done quite a bit of research on them. There are of course Mathews fan boys and Mathews haters. So it's hard to wade through all that. It does seem like a smooth design with the least vertical knock movement of any bow out there. Pretty much anyone who has shot one has really liked it. I own a Mathews Q2XL and I really like it. My current bow is a Bowtech 101st Airborne. It shoots 400 grain hunting setup to over 300fps. I really like it. That being said, I'd seriously consider the No Cam for my next bow.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've just gone by IBO at 5 grains per pound of pull which puts the total arrow weight at 350... Of course this doesn't count for the things on the string such as the peep and d-loop. It generates enough KE for whitetail and also keeps the speed demon part of me happy. :)
I misunderstood what you were saying... I thought you mistakenly said arrow weight 5 grains per pound and meant 5 grains per inch.

Carry on

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I haven't shot one. I've done quite a bit of research on them. There are of course Mathews fan boys and Mathews haters. So it's hard to wade through all that. It does seem like a smooth design with the least vertical knock movement of any bow out there. Pretty much anyone who has shot one has really liked it. I own a Mathews Q2XL and I really like it. My current bow is a Bowtech 101st Airborne. It shoots 400 grain hunting setup to over 300fps. I really like it. That being said, I'd seriously consider the No Cam for my next bow.

As it stands now... I think it's the hunting bow to beat. With completely circular wheel tracks letting down is easy and in hunting situations we know this is sometimes necessary. And it's quiet. I can't wait to get one! Looks like I'm going to put some 4-blade Slick Tricks on it too. Heard those are just nasty.

smax

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been through 3 bows in the last 3 months lol. First one was a Mathews Monster 6 which I could not stand the grip on it even with a torqueless grip. Then I got a Strother SR-71 and finally a Strother Vital. I don't think the Strothers will be going anywhere any time soon lol.

As for the Slick Tricks, I tried the magnums and had horrible blood trails. The deer didn't go far, but there was virtually no blood on the ground at all. I have talked to several other people that had the same experience. They are crazy sharp and really stout, but they just don't leave good blood trails.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My favorite broadhead is the Steelforce. Fly straight. Cut on contact, razor sharp to the tip. Had pass through and sticking in the ground on everything I've shot including hits to the shoulder blade. Unbelievable!

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've been through 3 bows in the last 3 months lol. First one was a Mathews Monster 6 which I could not stand the grip on it even with a torqueless grip. Then I got a Strother SR-71 and finally a Strother Vital. I don't think the Strothers will be going anywhere any time soon lol.

As for the Slick Tricks, I tried the magnums and had horrible blood trails. The deer didn't go far, but there was virtually no blood on the ground at all. I have talked to several other people that had the same experience. They are crazy sharp and really stout, but they just don't leave good blood trails.

That's disappointing! I used Rage 2-blade last year and both animals I shot them with went a combined total of 70 yards. The buck went 40 an the hog went 30. I just want to hunt with fixed broadheads but damn, these things did the job well. Maybe I should reconsider...

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My favorite broadhead is the Steelforce. Fly straight. Cut on contact, razor sharp to the tip. Had pass through and sticking in the ground on everything I've shot including hits to the shoulder blade. Unbelievable!

These are popular heads too but I admittedly don't know much about them. I'll check them out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom