AC Unit not cooling house

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is either too hot or I may have a problem, but my AC unit seems to be having trouble keeping up with the heat. Can anyone recommend a good company to look at it in the OKC area?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Als Heat and Air in Tuttle. Very honest guy. He saved me thousands over some other outfit when my AC unit failed.

But yes, do spray out the cools good and make sure there is no bebris in them like cottonwood fluff or leaves, ect.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good a/c guy will not come out until you have washed it out good. Fixes it most of the time.

That sounds to me like the definition of a lazy a/c guy. I had a guy come out and he and his helper spent about an hour cleaning mine out and putting 2 lbs of freon in it. Cost me about $120, I think. Well worth it... last thing I wanted to do was go poking around with something I didn't understand, and simply spraying it with a hose wouldn't have gotten close to what they did. I'm not an HVAC guy, that's what I pay other people for.

My $0.02, but if you're too lazy to come look, then fine, you're too lazy to earn my money.

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sounds to me like the definition of a lazy a/c guy. I had a guy come out and he and his helper spent about an hour cleaning mine out and putting 2 lbs of freon in it. Cost me about $120, I think. Well worth it... last thing I wanted to do was go poking around with something I didn't understand, and simply spraying it with a hose wouldn't have gotten close to what they did. I'm not an HVAC guy, that's what I pay other people for.

My $0.02, but if you're too lazy to come look, then fine, you're too lazy to earn my money.
Well the guy saved me some cash! washing it out was quick, easy and a cheap fix.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
with temps 100+ AC units are running close to their max. this means small problems that normally be absorbed by excess capacity now are showing up.

either call for professional service or do this yourself. but do it right away.
don't wait for something major to break, sky rocketing costs to fix.

1. change out inside filters .. enough air flow across your coils is critical
2. clean outside condenser coils by spraying water opposite direction of air flow with power off

air has to get through. any blockage has to be cleared, fins straighten out, etc.
something simple as changing out your inside air filter can solve borderline cooling problems.

this goes for inside A-coils too. air has to get through... any internal blockage reduces air flow. cleaning out A-coils is a job for professionals. Some will try to up sell a new AC unit when the problem is a clogged A-coil. in fairness it's all but impossible to quickly clean A-coils. cost to replace A-coil or clean can rack up quick.

to prevent A-coil from clogging... change that Air filter regularly!

It is either too hot or I may have a problem, but my AC unit seems to be having trouble keeping up with the heat. Can anyone recommend a good company to look at it in the OKC area?

Last edited:

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Washing a unit out and keeping a clean filter in the unit is not really something that requires any know how or skill. This may be all this guy needs done to his unit. If he needs freon, let somebody with the proper training do it.

Save some money for more ammo!

expertzx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I agree, this is why we pay them. If they don't want to come out, then there is somebody else who is more than happy to earn some cash.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call Integrity Heating and Air...they just came out to my house and serviced my AC. they cleaned/replaced all the filters, cleaned the AC unit, checked and refilled Freon, and got my AC to cooling like it should. And they will be coming out again at the beginning of winter to service the Heater. These two service call outs will only cost me 135 dollars if you enter into a service contract with them...money well spent if you ask me. The tech that came out also was very professional and taught me how to clean my own AC unit for the future.

Latest posts

Top Bottom