All around rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best all around rifle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Republicanhack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am curious about what people think would be the ideal all around rifle for protection, survival, hunting or whatever. Caliber doesn't matter and its not for a bug out situation or anything like that. My keltec sub2k fills that requirement

Thanks

I forgot to add the m1 garand, carbine, and m1a1

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Of the guns you listed I would have to say AR. Anytime one of these "just one gun" type of questions is raised people seem to forget that ANY firearm is just a good compromise. A .223/556 gun is a very capable rifle for everything from hunting for food, protecting yourself, and for the simple fact that it, and its ammo are (or can be based on configuration) very compact.

With proper ammo, the AR-15 is capable of fulfilling a very wide range of roles. However, with improper ammo, it fails or at least becomes marginal at fullfilling at most of them.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of the guns you listed I would have to say AR. Anytime one of these "just one gun" type of questions is raised people seem to forget that ANY firearm is just a good compromise. A .223/556 gun is a very capable rifle for everything from hunting for food, protecting yourself, and for the simple fact that it, and its ammo are (or can be based on configuration) very compact.

With proper ammo, the AR-15 is capable of fulfilling a very wide range of roles. However, with improper ammo, it fails or at least becomes marginal at fullfilling at most of them.

I have to agree. I've taken deer with my Ar15 and a lot of small game. A .223 round is also pretty safe to use in a home defense situation, rifle length can be adjusted, semi auto, lighter then a bolt action rifle. I'll chose my Ar over any other rifle any time.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1 AR lower with several uppers. You could have a .22 lr plinker , pistol caliber carbine, 5.56 carbine, 5.56 long range, 6.5/6.8/.300 etc. for hunting and a big bore for dangerous game.

Pretty hard for one of the other rifles to pull that off.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1 general purpose rifle to me means able to fill most rifle roles. 0 to 100 yards, 1-300, and 3-800.
Now, my AK 74 can do almost anything out to 300, but then it fades. (3x scout scope)
My Savage Bolt gun .308 can do great in longer ranges, but no CQ stuff. (10x fixed scope)

FAL in .308 can do just about anything, but really excels at 100-600 yds. (4-12x variable) Not the best CQB, but it can do it. Not as accurate as the Bolt .308, but I can squeeze 4 inches at 300 yards, on a gusty day. It IS heavy, but can be managed.

I don't own an AR, but honestly, I don't feel the need for one in my lineup.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My vote is for a bolt action rifle in a .26 to .30 caliber. This covers long range, medium range and short range. These calibers have sufficient energy to handle anything well. The scope could a 2 X 7 or 3X 9. I see that the poll is interested in just semi automatic military rifles though. These calibers will handle anything in North America from squirrels up in the hands of an experienced shooter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom