All around rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best all around rifle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

J-leblanc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1 general purpose rifle to me means able to fill most rifle roles. 0 to 100 yards, 1-300, and 3-800.
Now, my AK 74 can do almost anything out to 300, but then it fades. (3x scout scope)
My Savage Bolt gun .308 can do great in longer ranges, but no CQ stuff. (10x fixed scope)

FAL in .308 can do just about anything, but really excels at 100-600 yds. (4-12x variable) Not the best CQB, but it can do it. Not as accurate as the Bolt .308, but I can squeeze 4 inches at 300 yards, on a gusty day. It IS heavy, but can be managed.

I don't own an AR, but honestly, I don't feel the need for one in my lineup.

Hey i know you! you were using your fal at the 300 yard at ussa, me and my buddy were playing with mosin nagants.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1 general purpose rifle to me means able to fill most rifle roles. 0 to 100 yards, 1-300, and 3-800.
Now, my AK 74 can do almost anything out to 300, but then it fades. (3x scout scope)
My Savage Bolt gun .308 can do great in longer ranges, but no CQ stuff. (10x fixed scope)

FAL in .308 can do just about anything, but really excels at 100-600 yds. (4-12x variable) Not the best CQB, but it can do it. Not as accurate as the Bolt .308, but I can squeeze 4 inches at 300 yards, on a gusty day. It IS heavy, but can be managed.

I don't own an AR, but honestly, I don't feel the need for one in my lineup.

I'm with you on a .30 battle rifle for the best all-around rifle. Not necesarily the FAL in particular... as I said, I would go with an M-14 type rifle personally... but I would take an M-1, FAL, or G-3 over any of the other rifles mentioned. They are a sort of jack of all trades, and master of 300-600 yards especially. When it comes to clearing rooms, forget kicking in doors and slicing the pie... just shoot through the walls!

orangecrush1007

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Based on parts and mags availability, i would have to say the
AR in .223 and the FAL in .308.
I like the Mini 14 but the lack of available parts and reliable mags leaves out the Mini14\30 for me.

jeromebill7718

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would sit behind my 50bmg untill it ran out of ammo.
then I would switch to my ar10
I would switch to my ar(s)
then shoot my sks(s)
after that it would be my ps90 and 12 ga. shotguns

Reaction score
[Edited: Oops, now I see that bolt action is indeed in the poll -should have voted for that.. but,....]

...of course there's an argument to be made for a semi, so I voted - AR10 type - mine is a lightweight 18" DPMS in .260 Rem - arguably the perfect all-around rifle.

But my other "nearly perfect" all-around rifle is a work in progress. It's a Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight, 24", in .280 Rem. I've already rigged it with a 2-point sling. Coming up are pistol grip, AFG, and light/acces. rail. I know it will get some laughs, but I want it ergo like an AR but lightweight and easy to clean like a bolt action - I'm gonna have it all. Ruin the re-sale value of the stock, yes - but have it all. :)

My .308 bolt gun with 26" bull bbl will do anything I need

Really? Including being humpable over many dozens or hundreds of miles for days, weeks, and months on end, while also carry 40-70 lbs of other gear? For that matter, even if not carrying any other gear? :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom