Allstate blows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My issue was about 11 years ago, did not know that was an option.
I had decided to file a claim and let my insurer handle it, but before I could do that (literally the same day I’d talked to my agent), the other insurance company called and told me they were accepting liability and to take my truck wherever I wanted to get it fixed.

I’m not a fan of Geico because they funded the development of LiDAR as a speed trap tool, then underwrote costs when PDs didn’t want to fork out money for it, but I can’t say anything bad about the way they treated me when their insured was at fault.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just hope you never have to file an auto collision damage claim against them because of one of their policy holders. It won't be a pleasant experience.

So far, I'm glad to have USAA.

YMMV but this is from my personal experience.

/rant
That’s been my experience with all insurance companies including USAA.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Allstate is awful. I had them for over 35 years and when we moved to Oklahoma they wanted to charge me a higher premium for a home that was worth 35% of what I had in CA. Then the auto premium shot way up so I started the search. Tried USAA and Geico to compare and USAA wouldn’t give me a quote without providing a bunch of info (used my father’s USMC service) and after 2 hours of dinking around with them they were 15% higher than Geico. Their answer was “well I could reduce coverage here and there” and when I said “well Geico can do the same thing yes?” They had no answer. I’ve been hit twice by people with Geico insurance and both times it was as good an experience as I could have hoped for. Each time they rented me a car and took care of everything without issue. I’d certainly go with them again and the girls in the Lawton office are great!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. I've had both USAA and Allstate homeowners. It's a tossup as to which sucks more.

But I hate most insurance companies anyway. Regardless of who/what they're insuring they all wanna be in the business until it's time to pay up.

On a different insurance note... Has anyone had an instance of an insurance company over-riding a doctor's prescription? This recently happened to my wife. She had a 90 day RX for a medication. The insurance company told her they'd only fill it for a 30 day period per year as taking it daily was too much. It took over a month of her doctor arguing with them to get it filled the way the doctor prescribed it.
I had a medicare claim for an expensive medicine and had to call it in 3 times because they thought it was too expensive for me on my part of the payment. I went without over 7 months because they canceled it 3 different times. I had to get the doctor on their ass.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. I've had both USAA and Allstate homeowners. It's a tossup as to which sucks more.

But I hate most insurance companies anyway. Regardless of who/what they're insuring they all wanna be in the business until it's time to pay up.

On a different insurance note... Has anyone had an instance of an insurance company over-riding a doctor's prescription? This recently happened to my wife. She had a 90 day RX for a medication. The insurance company told her they'd only fill it for a 30 day period per year as taking it daily was too much. It took over a month of her doctor arguing with them to get it filled the way the doctor prescribed it.
All the time with my Arthritis meds. I usually ask the rep on the phone what their medical license number is and are they licensed in Oklahoma to practice medicine as they are doing so, by making medical decisions.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over the years I've had 8 incidents (not my fault) where I've had to file claims, and I let USAA do the heavy lifting except once when it was personal (but that's a different story I suppose). Never had any change to my premiums or anything else as a result.

Remember that the idea is that YOUR insurance works for you and in theory wants your car/house/whatever to be valuable so that you need their insurance coverage. On the other hand, the other parties insurance wants to KEEP their money that their client paid in and give zero craps about you and your property or health. So in that arrangement it always makes sense to let your people deal with it and then fight the other company.

tiasman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Allstate has now outsourced their total loss adjusters to India. Yes, you heard it right.

Allstate is going through some painful staffing issues right now.

Generally they have one of the better claims organizations. Right now is an exception.

Liberty Mutual and safeco claims are a shitshow right now as well, just dreadful.

The good ones currently right now are State Farm, USAA, progressive and Geico. I’ve seen them have rough periods too though.

And as always sometimes you just get an adjuster that is incompetent or hates their life and can make your experience terrible.

But in general the state of auto claims is the worst as an industry as I’ve seen in 21 years of business.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yes I have. For my daughters 8th birthday we took her to one of those damn trampoline jump places where she ended up getting staph. Dr prescribed her one med, ins said no and that it was too expensive for an 8yr old. I didn’t even know that was an option that they could say no to a script the Dr ordered. Boy was I pissed

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Allstate has now outsourced their total loss adjusters to India. Yes, you heard it right.

Allstate is going through some painful staffing issues right now.

Generally they have one of the better claims organizations. Right now is an exception.

Liberty Mutual and safeco claims are a shitshow right now as well, just dreadful.

The good ones currently right now are State Farm, USAA, progressive and Geico. I’ve seen them have rough periods too though.

And as always sometimes you just get an adjuster that is incompetent or hates their life and can make your experience terrible.

But in general the state of auto claims is the worst as an industry as I’ve seen in 21 years of business.

I really liked GEICO. I never had a problem with them other than they priced themselves out of my ability to pay. I had a few comprehensive claims and they never gave me any issues at all. I'm hoping Progressive (the company I switched to) treats me as well as GEICO did.

And, no... Before anyone starts, Progressive is not owned by George Soros and contributes to both major political parties fairly evenly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom