Am I the only one

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in my youth and teens, I went hunting a lot for game birds of all kinds. Wasn't much in the way of deer up there in the Panhandle unless one drove quite a ways. After all that, I bought my first really good camera when I was in the Army and got into doing that. Personally, I still like "hunting," but it is with a camera instead of a firearm. That way, I can "hunt" the same animal/bird next week as well.

These gave me a rush many several years ago. Elk and Bison in 2002 in Yellowstone and buck deer in Colorado in 2014. At 72 now, so not in physical shape to go traipsing around too much.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in my youth and teens, I went hunting a lot for game birds of all kinds. Wasn't much in the way of deer up there in the Panhandle unless one drove quite a ways. After all that, I bought my first really good camera when I was in the Army and got into doing that. Personally, I still like "hunting," but it is with a camera instead of a firearm. That way, I can "hunt" the same animal/bird next week as well.

These gave me a rush many several years ago. Elk and Bison in 2002 in Yellowstone and buck deer in Colorado in 2014. At 72 now, so not in physical shape to go traipsing around too much.

very nice photos, especially the Bison. i too shoot lots of digital pix, just haven't been able to get out much lately

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got into hunting, took my son deer hunting the last 2 years, he got his first last year and it was an incredible experience. However, I feel a little guilty, as we haven't eaten much of it. We always forget it in the deep freeze when we're planning dinner. And I'm not super fond of it. I mean, it's ok, it's just not something I crave.

So... I want to continue to take my son hunting, enjoy the cultural and sporting aspects of it, enjoying nature, conservation and responsible use, etc., but we're not a big "game meat" family. So I just called our local homeless shelter and they said they would love it! They said if it is processed into ground they could use it in more types of dishes. So, we can enjoy the hunt, and then we can donate the meat to people in more need! And keep a little for ourselves. They were pretty shocked, they said they've never had anyone ask that - I guess most people don't have trouble getting rid of venison? lol

Awesome!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was never able to get the passion for hunting after Vietnam. I hunted after getting back, but it just was not the same

I started hunting at eight years old. and by ten I was the primary meat provider. I grew up with avid hunters in my family, living in a time of want and need.

After the Nam years, I had no desire for blood spray. The very few hunts consisted of helping a neighbor to make it through a tough winter of feeding his family. Welfare wasn't in vogue back then, people helped people as best they could. My oldest brother, James, was the big game hunter and outdoors man of my family. After so many various trophies, even he slowed down until the time he finally could no longer go.

I never lost my love for firearms or shooting. I still don't have a problem eliminating a predator causing harm.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My family goes through the meat, which is my main reason for hunting. Elk, deer, turkey and goat....OK, I get the goat from my co-worker, but as long as I can keep supplementing our menu I'll keep doing it. Yes, the dragging, gutting, skinning, quartering and processing is work and getting harder each year on this old body. We do it all ourselves. My biggest complaint is that I don't have enough time/money to get an Elk each year. That was our favorite meat so far.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just got into hunting, took my son deer hunting the last 2 years, he got his first last year and it was an incredible experience. However, I feel a little guilty, as we haven't eaten much of it. We always forget it in the deep freeze when we're planning dinner. And I'm not super fond of it. I mean, it's ok, it's just not something I crave.

So... I want to continue to take my son hunting, enjoy the cultural and sporting aspects of it, enjoying nature, conservation and responsible use, etc., but we're not a big "game meat" family. So I just called our local homeless shelter and they said they would love it! They said if it is processed into ground they could use it in more types of dishes. So, we can enjoy the hunt, and then we can donate the meat to people in more need! And keep a little for ourselves. They were pretty shocked, they said they've never had anyone ask that - I guess most people don't have trouble getting rid of venison? lol

Awesome!

When I was on the DMAP, we had to take 40 does a season off the property. When starting, we wondered what the heck we were going to do with all the meat. It didn't take long to find the Hunters Feeding the Hungry program in Ok that distributes the meat to homeless shelters, as well as any local Game Warden keeps a list of folks that need some protein because they can't get out or are financially strapped.
Local meat processors will know of some folks that want game too. It was actually really easy to get the meat donated.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember taking a hunter safety course (about 1994) and the instructor stating this is a common progression for many hunters. I know for myself this began in my 50's. Still love shooting tho.

Latest posts

Top Bottom