Ancestry.com - DNA KIT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My sisters research was the old fashioned genealogy going through birth/death/marriage records and lots of traveling to cemeteries/court houses, etc., all over the Midwest, and getting pictures from those in other parts of the country and world that network in sharing genealogy information. I know she took pics and answered questions from others that do genealogy for a hobby. Heck, my sisters was an obsession.
I think where the DNA issue about finding out you have relatives in parts of the world that the family never knew about probably came from infidelities with others outside the family.
Its been called the "milk mans" kid, the "Postmans" kid, and so on.

Subsonic

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My folk's did this and my grandmother on my mom's side always talked about how the family was x amount Indian and my dad's side said we had Jewish blood. They did the tests and zero Indian blood on my mom's side, no Jewish blood on my dad's side but there was Jewish blood on my mom's side. My great grand father on my mom's side immigrated from Ireland and that was accurately reflected on the test.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kinda messed up to find out about your momma or grandmomma's infidelities from a 100 dollar DNA test, haha. Where's Maury when you need him?

seriously, i also think there's a lot of ******** going around about what heritage you've got in your family. Like i've said before, my mom is convinced we've got Native American in us, but you know, i wouldn't be surprised if that was ********. Hell, maybe my grandaddy's 1/4 black or something. My grandma is half Japanese, but maybe i'm not even related to her. Who knows?

I wouldn't just dismiss the results out of hand because you don't agree with them, unless you're like obviously Black but the test comes back saying your Norwegian.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I don't know about the rest of you people, but I'm going to take the results of this test as the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My niece keeps all of our geneology records etc. I have had the dna test from Ancestry and one other outfit and the results were almost
the same. All our family results came back about the same and it's all very interesting but kind of complicated unless you are willing
to spend time learning all the lingo that goes with race etc. Personally I'm not that interested and my niece keeps me posted on any
significant developments in our family tree.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My sisters research was the old fashioned genealogy going through birth/death/marriage records and lots of traveling to cemeteries/court houses, etc., all over the Midwest.............

Ancestry access is somewhat expensive, but for the folks like Dennis' sister that had to travel all over the country to research and obtain records, and sometimes come up empty, that is a huge accumulated expense. I believe the records I have obtained through Ancestry's database have been cheaper for me to obtain through membership (so far) than physically going and finding them on my own.

I have through the records from Ancestry such as birth, death, census, military, wills, and probate records been able to document my lineage and have it verified by, and granted membership into the Sons of the American Revolution. I have done this for two of my ancestors, one through my grandpa on my mom's side and the other through my grandma on my dad's side. I like knowing that I had ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War and helped in the birth of our nation. It is also very interesting to map out the migration of my family ancestors' journeys as they arrived into the colonies and moved west, and eventually made me an Oklahoman.

My little home office room has now become a family history room with historical documents, certificates, maps, photos, and land record documents. Two of my ancestors made the Oklahoma Land Run of 1889, one is my great grandfather on my dad's side through his dad, and the other a great-great grandfather also on my dad's side through his mom.

I was never into the genealogy or family history until I got older, but now I find it very interesting and hope to keep discovering more. It is now something that I want my son and my grandchildren to know about, and hope when they are older that they may also take an interest and add to what I've learned for their grand kids and my future generations.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WHITE-SUPREMACIST-TAKES.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom