Ancestry.com - DNA KIT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mostly similar. I think Ancestry may be a bit overly enthusiastic in attempting to pinpoint specific locations, but nothing that would make me suspect either evaluation is inaccurate.

Code:
Africa < 1%
 Trace Regions < 1%
  Mali < 1%

America 1%
 Trace Regions 1%
  Native American 1%

Europe 97%
 Great Britain 30%
 Ireland 26%
 Italy/Greece 15%
 Scandinavia 11%
 Europe West 9%
 Trace Regions 6%
  Iberian Peninsula 5%
  European Jewish < 1%

Pacific Islander < 1%
 Trace Regions < 1%
  Melanesia < 1%

Thanks, kind of puts the credibility of these tests in context.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That video makes a lot of sense as siblings can also look different. Two of my siblings and I all look more Native American with dark hair, eyes and skin. Two other siblings have blond hair, light skin and green eyes. All of us have the same mother and father.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started with Ancestry but then sent my results to FTDNA for additional analysis -

Did you have to purchase the FTDNA kit to participate there, or were you allowed to upload your RAW DNA Data that you can download from Ancestry?

I would be interested in sending my Data to another site for comparison too.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you have to purchase the FTDNA kit to participate there, or were you allowed to upload your RAW DNA Data that you can download from Ancestry?

I would be interested in sending my Data to another site for comparison too.
You can upload the raw data and get the analysis at a discounted rate, I think it's $39 and sometimes less on specials.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One has to pay several hundred dollars for an accurate test. These $100 tests from Ancestry are like those heart and lung scans in ones local mall, it's at best a cursory overview and nothing definitive. It goes back to the old saying, "You get what you pay for." What seems to be a bargain really isn't.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One has to pay several hundred dollars for an accurate test. These $100 tests from Ancestry are like those heart and lung scans in ones local mall, it's at best a cursory overview and nothing definitive. It goes back to the old saying, "You get what you pay for." What seems to be a bargain really isn't.
This. Cheap tests don't use very many markers, making false correlations more likely. These are not forensic-grade tests (which still occasionally incur false-positives), but they're being used for forensic purposes. Thanks, but no thanks.

Additionally: as medical science advances, we're learning to read DNA to determine relative rates of certain diseases. What happens when a security breach happens (have you noticed how many we've had lately), and your sequence ends up in the hands of your health insurance company?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Additionally: as medical science advances, we're learning to read DNA to determine relative rates of certain diseases. What happens when a security breach happens (have you noticed how many we've had lately), and your sequence ends up in the hands of your health insurance company?

Bingo! I can just see them finding a data source and running DNA just as an employer runs a background check. Nope...Nope...Nope.

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife gave me the kit a few Christmas ago. My mother had always told me we were part Cherokee. She was from Muskogee. Had a Grandmother that came down the Trail of Tears. As at turned out it came back not a speck of Native Blood. But, Five percent North African. So Granmaw may have come down the Trail. But, maybe as a slave. Maybe a Freeman. Not sure. That Heart scan may not be definitive, but it put me on the road to saving me from early death. Mine was done at Ok heart.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That video makes a lot of sense as siblings can also look different. Two of my siblings and I all look more Native American with dark hair, eyes and skin. Two other siblings have blond hair, light skin and green eyes. All of us have the same mother and father.
This is me. I have 3 older siblings with the same Scot-Irish father, different mother- my 2 half sisters are blonde with green eyes just like their mother and my half brother is blonde with some ginger and blue eyes and they had a brother who wasnt our fathers who looks just like our brother. Our father tho was dark complexioned with dark hair and blue eyes but was 100% white. His fathers side settled in Alabama from Scotland and his mothers side came to Maryland from county Downe Ireland and ended up in Alabama, an aunt has tons of family info to back all his stuff up. I remember family reunions in Alabama and Lousianna and there sure were alot of redheads and blondes there.

On my other side I have 3 younger half sibs with the same mother but different father. My mother is 3/4ths native 1/4 French and step father is full blood native so my 3 younger half sibs obviously all look like full bloods even tho theyre only 7/8ths native and 1/8 French- brown hair, skin and eyes. I have one full blood brother 2 yrs younger than me with same mother and father who has brown hair, skin and eyes and looks as native as our mother even tho we're just a bit more than 3/8ths native on our CBIB cards- we are a bit more than 1/4 Osage and 1/8 Kaw. I have blonde hair and blue/green eyes, I tan but burn too. No need for DNA tests in our family to know exactly where we came from with tons of family documents on all sides. My mother lives on her grandfathers original indian allotment in Osage county, her father and his family were all original allottees on the 1905 Osage tribal roll and her mother was on the original Kaw roll. My grandfather was the youngest of 10 kids whose family was removed to Oklahoma from MIssouri when the Osage settled on their Oklahoma reservation. He was one of the indian kids schooled at Chilocco and then attended Haskell indian college.

Latest posts

Top Bottom