Another way to handle trespassers - lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And according to the law, if you post signs of said booby traps, you are legal.

Please, post your source on this. Posting legal traps (as in leghold, conibear, etc.), yes, you are legal. Posting booby traps makes you legal? You're off your rocker.

I do not know the law, but I am going to take a wild guess and say it is illegal to have any kind of booby trap that shoots any kind of projectile. I would imagine this pertains to a shotgun in a tree or crossbow that fires by tripwire or something of that nature. I don't think you have to be an attorney to come to the conclusion that it could encompass paintballs as well. Now... plain liquid paint, might be a different story.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Case in point, many years ago a man made a booby trap inside his front door with a shot gun attached to a chair somehow. It was pointed at the front door with a string to trip fire it if the door was breached. He left town and someone broker in and was shot but not killed. It was said that the trap was in violation of the law because he did not post warning signs outside the door. The intruder won a civil suit I believe.

Sent from outer space or somewhere from my mobile device

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Case in point, many years ago a man made a booby trap inside his front door with a shot gun attached to a chair somehow. It was pointed at the front door with a string to trip fire it if the door was breached. He left town and someone broker in and was shot but not killed. It was said that the trap was in violation of the law because he did not post warning signs outside the door. The intruder won a civil suit I believe.

That does not prove that it is legal. I am guessing you are talking about Katko v. Briney, which happened back in the early 70's. Yes, Katko sued him and won, posting of the trap had nothing to do with it. It is illegal any way you do it. Booby traps are indiscriminate. You may get the robber, but you may get the fireman coming in to save you. You don't have a legal right to protect your residence with deadly force... when you're not there.

Katko v. Briney
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1999-12-20/news/9912200163_1_miller-booby-trap-burglar

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A guy I worked with had a lake house that kept getting broken into. He told the investigating sheriff deputy that he was going to find a shotgun and wire it to the door.

The Sheriff said if he came back and found a dead body because of a shotgun wired to go off to kill an intruder, he would file 1st degree premeditated murder charges on the land owner.

As I stated earlier, if the paint splash was a direct cause of the person having a heart attack, or losing some vision, etc, the person setting the booby trap is in trouble.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That does not prove that it is legal. I am guessing you are talking about Katko v. Briney, which happened back in the early 70's. Yes, Katko sued him and won, posting of the trap had nothing to do with it. It is illegal any way you do it. Booby traps are indiscriminate. You may get the robber, but you may get the fireman coming in to save you. You don't have a legal right to protect your residence with deadly force... when you're not there.

Katko v. Briney
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1999-12-20/news/9912200163_1_miller-booby-trap-burglar

It wasn't late 70s...90s I think.
but your mind is set, I'll leave it there.

Sent from outer space or somewhere from my mobile device

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom