Discouraging Gate-breaching Trespassers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Arrested?

S...S...S!

Yep I said arrested , and yes I had someone taken to jail for repeated trespassing . Nothing much of came of it in the end but the individual who kept crossing my fence stopped after that. Depending on where you are in the state people don't tend to pay much attention to posted property especially if they are life long residents.

In deep SE Oklahoma where I was born and raised, if you're not from there you will never be. Outsiders often end up having issues when they buy property. Or they used to at a very minimum when they would run afoul of the locals.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up in that neck of the woods and to be perfectly honest with you, you are lucky you’ve made it this long without losing your shorts. Having dealt with my family’s property and all the trespassing, thieving, crack and meth heads, I’ve learned they are a lot like cedar tress, hogs and Democrats. Despite your best efforts, you will never get rid of them, much less get them under control.

If your gate chain was cut and gate closed, I’d bet they went in, scoped it all out and closed your gate with plans to come back and get everything they wanted. I’d bet they were there not too long before your discovery was made.

Like stated above, cell cameras and someone you trust nearby to help you monitor them will be your best effort to mitigate any losses.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@retrieverman knows a lot about cameras. Maybe he'll chime in on em.
I‘ve been Spartans for at least 10 years when 2g was still cutting edge technology, and other than having 3 “drown” in river floods, I’ve never had an issue with any of the 17 cameras I’ve had. From my experience with 2g, 3g, and now 4g cameras, the current cameras are hands down the best at getting service where there’s not much to be had. I’ve finally got completely away from AA’s and am using external batteries and solar panels on all my cameras. The first one I set up with an external battery as a test has been running continuously for over a year and a half without a hiccup.
Most of my friends run Tactacams and have had decent luck with them, and of the problems they’ve had, I’m fairly certain it’s been operator area. My only knock against Tactacams is that I don’t think the picture quality is as good as what I get through the Spartan app. In my opinion, it’s not really a big deal is you‘re just looking at deer, but if you want it for security purposes, picture quality/clarity is more important.
If you want to take specifics, PM me.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The History Channel has some ideas ... Of course you may end up having some explaining to do later

This was my first thought.

1678749617402.png

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tactacam is the only way to go imo. Been running 3 of them for 3y now flawlessly in two different states.
Agree 100% I've been running two in Oklahoma for two years now. Watched them all winter from Arizona. Right where the OP is from. Almost realtime. I was getting a 10-12 second delay from when motion was detected to when I got an alert.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The way most trespassing laws are written its very hard to get any kind of conviction even if you catch them in the act in person. Oklahoma revised their statutes a few years back but its still a challenge to get someone arrested or even fined for it assuming you've posted it in accordance with the law.
I've not had that experience. I've posted in the past when the GW has called me and said he had detained people illegally hunting on our places. All he needs is verbal permission to issue trespass tickets as well as citations for hunting game on property where they do not have permission to hunt.
Been there, done that many times.
The last two guys caught had to pay $750 each for a couple quail they shot on us. He witnessed them walking out of the field. I posted pics of the incident on OSA as I was working on the other side of the quarter when he called me so I went to him to sit off to the side on the ATV with a rifle in the gun rack to back him up.
Key is to get to know your local GW so he knows you are willing to tell them to find a tree and hang them high.

Latest posts

Top Bottom