Discouraging Gate-breaching Trespassers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'll never stop someone if they want in bad enough. Like said above, cell cams are the way to go. I know a guy in eastern Major county who's used them to bust 28 people over the last two years from everything including theft, vandalism, trespassing and squatting. All on the same property too.
I’ll have to research the cell cam threads. As best I recall, Tacticam seems to be rated best among this group. My only cam (a $$$ Made in the USA, Reconyx quit working two months ago). Will have to un-Python and reboot it next time I go (June?). Planned on buying several more, but can’t decide if I can trust Reconyx or not). Their solar power seems to work great - always at 99% regardless of the weather.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll have to research the cell cam threads. As best I recall, Tacticam seems to be rated best among this group. My only cam (a $$$ Made in the USA, Reconyx quit working two months ago). Will have to un-Python and reboot it next time I go (June?). Planned on buying several more, but can’t decide if I can trust Reconyx or not). Their solar power seems to work great - always at 99% regardless of the weather.
@retrieverman knows a lot about cameras. Maybe he'll chime in on em.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you have a place basically in the middle of nowhere, with noone there, next to a grow operation and are surprised people are stopping by? I promise those locals know more about your place than you do. You can put up cameras and maybe even get a few arrested. But don't be surprised if your building burns down one night. I say you'vbe got a bit of an uphill battle if you don't have someone physically present to confront them.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So you have a place basically in the middle of nowhere, with noone there, next to a grow operation and are surprised people are stopping by? I promise those locals know more about your place than you do. You can put up cameras and maybe even get a few arrested. But don't be surprised if your building burns down one night. I say you'vbe got a bit of an uphill battle if you don't have someone physically present to confront them.
Not really too surprised :-). As mentioned in a separate thread, the grow facility is likely to go out of business. I’m hoping the recent 820 outcome increases the likelihood of that. If I get to buy the place (but not the business), will pursue a trust-worthy renter. If things get too sketchy, will sell and maybe buy elsewhere. Right now, the owner of the grow facility is a perfect neighbor as far as looking around goes.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not really too surprised :-). As mentioned in a separate thread, the grow facility is likely to go out of business. I’m hoping the recent 820 outcome increases the likelihood of that. If I get to buy the place (but not the business), will pursue a trust-worthy renter. If things get too sketchy, will sell and maybe buy elsewhere. Right now, the owner of the grow facility is a perfect neighbor as far as looking around goes.
Never thought I'd hear someone say a grow facility was the perfect neighbor. I thought a lot of them in Oklahoma weren't doing so great and have cheap or forced labor... if they or their workers are broke could they possibly be looking for things at your place for extra money? Your problem could be as close as right next to ya.

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Tactacam is the only way to go imo. Been running 3 of them for 3y now flawlessly in two different states.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As some know, I live in AZ and have my deer-hunting/investment diversifying/bug-out quarter section in McIntosh County. On 28 January, my medical marijuana grower neighbor texted me to let me know she’d noted my main gait chain hanging loose. I had another neighbor I’d given gate keys to check on the issue. He reported somebody had cut the gate chain. He also reported my pole barn doors were closed, but a skinny guy (not him) could have squeezed in on one side of the door (hangs on rollers).

So, for the last 5 weeks I’d not known if I’d been robbed or not (of tools, ladder, spray rig, blind, etc). Potential positive points regarding the chain cutters were that they’d bothered to muscle the gate shut when they departed, and if they’d gotten into the barn, they shut the light off (based on my electric bill). Thankfully, my brother-in-law from KS wanted to go hog hunting. So, I made him a set of keys for the gate, barn, etc. and mailed them. As best I can tell from his description of the barn contents, nobody but corn-eating coons/opossum had been in there. He swapped out my “best Tractor Supply had” chains and locks with some that are friggen bodacious (log chains that look to be 1/2 to 3/4” thick). It would be easier to cut the metal gates than the chains and new locks. I’ve also asked another neighbor who runs cattle beside me to keep his eye on the two gates into the land.

Someone on foot could have just climbed the gates or squeezed through the barbed wire to enter the property. I figure whoever cut the chain wanted to take a truck onto the property to see if there was anything easy to tow off, or maybe they just wanted to see two sides of the MJ farm much better.

After that tale of woe, what should a distant land owner do? I’ve posted No Trespassing signs on the gates, and between my neighbor with the keys (trading bailing my pastures for his cattle for mowing my driveway, primitive RV site, and trails) we try to make the place look occupied. I’m considering having a 10x40 High Cube steel container with the best locks available delivered to supplement the barn, maybe even buy and dismantle the MJ farm to make the area less “interesting”. Also going to add some more security/trail cameras. Also plan on rigging the barn doors to be tighter via hardware at multiple heights. Won’t mess with the barn too much as somebody could just cut the metal or dig under it.

Any other ideas?
Have your neighbor put a couple Bad A _ _ Bulls over there.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty good idea; there’s an easement against building a permanent habitable dwelling (trailer house might work). If I get to buy the 10 acres cut from the land long ago with a 60’s era home and MJ grow operation on it, a responsible retired couple would be perfect! And, it would come with a high-security (prison-like with lights) fencing they could grow veggies in free of deer, hogs, and other varmits.
I Could Be Available in future!

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would pull the tinhorn, remove the gate and relocate it to a neighbor's adjoining fence line. No access from the road and requires them to get past your neighbor. Sounds like you already have a good relationship with them so your greatest inconvenience would be reinstalling your tinhorn if you ever end up there permanently.

Next option would be to hire a caretaker to live on site.

Latest posts

Top Bottom