Discouraging Gate-breaching Trespassers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep I said arrested , and yes I had someone taken to jail for repeated trespassing . Nothing much of came of it in the end but the individual who kept crossing my fence stopped after that. Depending on where you are in the state people don't tend to pay much attention to posted property especially if they are life long residents.

In deep SE Oklahoma where I was born and raised, if you're not from there you will never be. Outsiders often end up having issues when they buy property. Or they used to at a very minimum when they would run afoul of the locals.

SW OK is every bit as bad or worse.
The property I bought had been owned by the family since 1912. I was the outsider, though my family has been here since 1911. Dad left after getting married and though I "grew up" here, never went to school here. Dad moved back when he retired. I moved and bought my property 20 years ago. I am still an "outsider", even to neighbors I have known for 60 years.

Getting to know and backing up Sheriff and GW, having video evidence, marking your property is about the best you can do.

Azzhats will be azzhats. You just gotta teach them "Homie don't play."

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who owns the state? The people.
Who Owns the property? We do.
Can you access property that is not yours to take wildlife without permission? No.
You link is old and no longer the law. It's all changed.
I knew this argument would come up and it's a false argument.
You tell me it's wrong and no longer in the rules. It's in the rules that matter Dennis. Unless you can show me where that rule was rescinded, I'm going by the actual game laws and not that yearly book you continuously quote from. Hint, It actually says on it that those arent the actual laws.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
could be the breaches were from right of way or other such pipeline,transmission line easements etc that have the right to enter your property? contact the owners of these easements and get them to put their own lock on your gate. if it wasn't included in the land use agreement they may not cooperate though

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
could be the breaches were from right of way or other such pipeline,transmission line easements etc that have the right to enter your property? contact the owners of these easements and get them to put their own lock on your gate. if it wasn't included in the land use agreement they may not cooperate though
Could be, but in every incident I’ve had with people accessing easements, they have put one of their locks where they cut the chain. I’ve never had one just leave the chain cut. :anyone:

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only easement is a flowage for potential temporary or permanent expansion of Lake Eufaula (why no new permanent homes are allowed). I did wonder about LE wanting a better peek at the grower, but the owner is on very good terms with the local authorities and game warden. Thanks for the brainstorming!

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We put a camper and a pickup at one of the property with the most items that could walk away. Every week I make a point to leave the truck in a different position. Ive set lights on a timer. That change every week as well. I have satellite internet set up and a few cameras around the main property that alert me to the deer walking by. lol

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly. If the original agreement doesn't include keeping the gates locked, they could come and go as they please.
Our Ponca City gun club had several pipelines and pumping units running through the property outside of the ranges. We had an attorney draw up a contract saying they had to lock the gates behind them when entering and leaving. We found the gates left open many times, that we terminated with a written in clause in the contracts forcing them to go around us on other land. The pipelines are all inspected by air and the pump jacks/tanks are outside of the main range. They have a different way to get in there now but had to pay another easement for a roadway on the neighbor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom