Antelope aren't antelope, or goats either

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Antelope may not jump fences as a general rule, but I have personally watched them do it.

I have no doubt they can. From What I've heard, they just don't prefer it.

One of my favorite ways to make a deer funnel is to tie up the bottom two rows of fence, and the top two rows around a wheat field. Still keeps the cows in, but I've sat in the stand and watched them crawl under, and step over it. I have one just like that 25 yds from my bow stand.:D

usmc1986

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was a good read. I see pronghorns all the time in western OK and Texas, never new much about them other than them being in large herds during the winter. I didn't know that they can't jump over fences, probably explains why you don't see alot of them as roadkill.

I saw 3 of them grazing out near Shoshoni, WY the other day, so I honked my big horns at them and about 10 more heads poked up out of the grass.

In the N. Texas panhandle I've seen plenty as road kill this time of year. I'm assuming it's primary because they're rutting right now and not paying attention, actually getting ready to start winding down.

All of the Pronghorn I've seen in Oklahoma slide under the bottom wire on fences. Yes they can jump but our Okie "goats" like the under the wire method. I've watched huge herds of antelope run and jump fences in Wyoming. It looks like water flowing over a rock in a stream.

Latest posts

Top Bottom