Any guitar players? Other hobbies?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostrider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To Triple D, The Eric Johnson Strat rocks! Eric took a 57 strat and re-did it basically. Even the neck is designed to start off with a "V" feel and contours to a "C" shape by the 12th fret. I highly recommend one!

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive been eating,breathing,living,and alot of times sleeping with a guitar since I was 10 years old. I make most of my living playing music or in music business related businesses. I'm currently in 2 metal and industrial/metal bands- one in Des Moines Iowa that tours and records (even though we're all still broke bums), and another that is in the process of reorganizing. Im also kind of a mercenary guitarist playingin part time or sitting in with several friends bands and side projects in Des Moines,Kansas City, and I just joined a new metal band in the Tulsa area as a part time player.

Some of my gear,(my current main gigging gear is on the first page; gear that Im not using on the road but use recording,etc is on the 2nd page):
http://community.webshots.com/album/562152470QbSaeN?vhost=community
one of my bands:
http://www.last.fm/music/On+a+Pale+Horse
same band:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6y5etpXgTo
side project demos:
http://www.myspace.com/Blackdeadheart

I started playing guitar at 10 when I was sent for classical lessons after sucking so bad at the piano. My mother had been a child piano protege (she played on NPR as a kid once in the 50s) and her father had been an actor in the 30s&40s and then a violinist later in his life in Los Angeles,Ca. My mother taught piano in our home. All of my older siblings excelled on the piano and I tried hard to learn on it but sucked at it pretty bad. Being around my mother and grandfather and other family and friends who were musicians I was around music pretty much since I was born. Plus my older brothers and sisters all were gifted on the piano and on other instruments.

I took to guitar well though. Like it was invented just for me. When I had been in lessons for a year or so my grandfathers old friend, the great LA luthier Rodriguez, built me a custom classical guitar. I practiced for hours and hours every day when other kids were out playing,just me and my metronome. I spent 5 years doing nothing but playing the guitar after school and sports. By 15 I was teaching the beginning classes at my instructors studio,then I started working in a local San Diego music store at 16 when I got my drivers license teaching lessons and selling guitars and gear. By then though I was into Black Sabbath pretty heavy and was ready to ditch the classical stuff. I wanted to be in a rock band. I started and played in a few bands with gear borrowed from the store I worked at. But I wanted a Les Paul and a Marshall stack. When I had saved a bit of money me and a buddy headed for LA hitting the pawn shops and I got what I wanted, and I still have that gear today. I started playing in better metal bands around southern California while in highschool and moved to San Francisco after highschool graduation in 87' to go to art school, and played in a bunch of crappy metal and thrash bands. I gigged every weekend up and down the coast,Reno,etc. I went to work in a tattoo shop apprenticing during art school,where I met my first wife,and played in bands at night and on weekends. I eventually landed a part time job in a studio as a session guitarist for awhile and quit the tattooing. In 00' we had gotten sick of California and we moved to Des Moines Iowa so I could play in a band that I had met from there while working in the studio in Cali, and so my ex could open her own tattoo shop. I now live in Oklahoma remarried to someone else but do alot of traveling with the music because my band and my business are still based in Iowa.

Because playing the type of music I play isnt a very good paying occupation,besides the music business related businesses I do I have always had to do other things on the side to bring in income. I also have to try and match my wifes high paying corporate exec salary. I dont do any tattooing any more but I still have an interest in 2 tattoo shops co-owned with my ex-wife and a couple of partners-one in Des Moines Iowa and another in California; and I own and manage a bit of personal and family property in my home state of California and in Iowa.

At home in Oklahoma I have a small shop/rehearsal/recording space where I do other things to make money in the music business. I build,sell custom guitar rack rig systems to local and touring guitarists; I buy/sell used guitars and gear from/to other working musicians; I collect/buy/sell/trade vintage guitars and gear; I give guitar lessons to quite a few very patient students; I work part time for a music store that my best friend/guitar tech/rythym guitarist in one of my bands manages where I contract out doing guitar setups,repairs,lessons,etc; and I help other young metal bands with getting organized,finding them management/booking,recording demos,etcetc.

I really dont have much time for hobbies or much of anything else except family life because of the music stuff and tattoo shops but when I do have time off I try to fit in doing as much other stuff as I can. I like to do all kinds of art as a hobby; Ive been practicing martial arts since I was a little kid,Ive been boxing since I was in junior high school,Ive lifted weights since 9th grade- so I try to get in as many workouts as I can in my home gym; I have reptiles and arachnids- snakes,lizards,tarantulas and a scorpion; I like collecting guns/shooting; messing around with my 4x4s and playing with my 98' Toyota Supra,riding an old motorcycle my dad left me and riding motocross bikes with my kid on our land; I like to do auto audio/alarm installs; play around with home video/sound systems,electronics,computers; and then when I have a free Saturday night here and there I like to go play in a local table soccer/foosball DYP tournament in Tulsa or wherever Im at at the time. Occasionally when I can I go play in the bigger tournaments on Tornado Table Soccers pro tour (Ive been playing as a semi-pro since the early 80s);etcetc. I stay busy.

larkinmusic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've played since I was a kid and have been in a local band for the past twelve or so years. I play a Fender acoustic mostly, but I have other guitars. My favorite electric is an Epiphone Sheraton that I've had for close to twenty years. It sounds great plugged into my Crate VC30. I know Crate has a bad rep. but this little amp sounds great. I'm currently looking for a Fender Esquire body for a build. I have a 1949 Fender lap steel with the original pick-up and I'm wanting to put it in an Esquire.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my opinion is buy a good quality instrument to get the best consistent sound or the kid will lose interest. I used to make my living playing in a band until I figured out my living was killing me. You know, too many parties and too many pals. I still play a little around the house but no longer perform live. Keep em interested in music and keep music alive in their souls and they will play forever, give em an instrument that won't stay tuned or is hard to play then they will move on to something else. If you get a good quality instrument and they do give up it is easier to recoup your $$ than with a cheap one they can find anywhere for less! JMHO!!

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shooting, hunting, fishing, reloading, high school sports, guitar, and yardwork. My old guitar friend is a Takamine I've had for about 30 years - it is a knockoff of a Martin D-28 that is sometimes called a "lawsuit Takamine" because they were supposedly sued by Martin. It is such a close copy that the headstock and gold logo look just like the Martin from 10 feet away. It is probably not as good as a Martin, but it's a good as me. :hithead:

Cedar Creek

captfd

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like playing, As to new learner i recomend a standard like the Epiphone Ft 130 or Ft 140 model, The neck can be removed with 4 screws and the bridge is adjustable, with a 1 7/8 nut. they quit makeing this model in the late 70,s but can be bought at pawn shops or E-bay from $100 to $200 bucks. Have it set as low as you can get it without haveing a buzz, and put the lightest strings on it like 8 lite. The easer on the fingers the longer she will kee it up. Sound is not that inportant right now, she not playing in public for a wile. learn the cords, you can learn so much on these computers now just go slow. I play a 1965 Fender Jazzmaster, i have had it since 1965, Telling my age here some, also play a Gretsch Country Gentelman. Glad to see so many others are pllaying.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I play Bass in a punk/oi band and i offroad in my xj jeep .....of course love the hunting and reloading ...when i get the funds i like to rebuild vespas and lambrettas

What's the name of your punk / oi band?

I'm far from being in that scene anymore. Left it almost 8 years ago. Now I just look like your typical geek. I was in it when the Roustabouts and the Doozers were still around. Good times.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I play the mandolin, violin, guitar, bass, sitar, ect. If it has strings and frets on it, I can figure out how to play it. I also used to do a lot of photography and developed my own black and whites. There was a short time when I dabbled in film making and documentary making.

Now, my design work takes 90% of my time and when I get home, I just want to watch movies or play xbox. I did get an airbrush recently and may try my hand at doing custom duracoat finishes on firearms on the side.

Latest posts

Top Bottom