Any house flippers/ Remodelers on the board? Few Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes! And here's a tip that will raise the value of the house by 5% and cost nearly nothing.

Krylon oil rubbed bronze paint. $3 or so at Wal-Mart $6 at Lowes. Paint every hinge, ceiling fan motor, door knob and faucet. Then the house will look like the new models do. You have to lightly sand on the faucets and clean with acetone but I've painted $800 whirpool fixtures and no one could tell. I bought my last flip for $148k and sold it for $209k. Granted this was a crazy deal of a lifetime but the krylon sold the wife on it looking like the new homes. Good luck!

The 'chrome' finish on faucets and similar fixture is not a hexavalent chrome plating at all. Most of the time (even on the crappier imported variety of fixtures) it is a Particle Vapor Deposition (PVD) process that makes it bright-n-shiny, not a plating.

The difference in the two processes is that chrome plating deposits a very small film while PVD actually chemically and metalugically changes the surface of the base metal to reflect a specific finish. The advantage is that steel wool and other abrasives that might damage a plated finish can't 'rub off' a PVD finish. PVD finishes also make it very difficult for surface contaminants, trash, or junk to bind to that surface (and make cleaning those surfaces very easy by housemoms not interested in using lots of elbow grease, for example).

I say all that to state if you think painting over a PVD finish is good practice, you're a moron.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No one asked you. Name calling isn't nice. I'm the one with $60k profit....that makes ME the moron? :chop:

No, but I'm sure that the people who paid you the $60k profit under the premise of buying 'recently updated fixtures' might have more choice words when the paint starts rubbing off.

I am sure you are not a moron, and you are right about name calling. However, most times the cheapest solution isn't the best. Who wants to be known as a scam artist?

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Maybe it was the market at the time(seven years ago) but we were looking in Jenks, Gelnpool, BA, Tulsa, Owasso, Bixby and Wagoner.

As one example, we were about to close on a house until I took a Retired Seabee buddy of mine to see the house. Turns out that he had been to the same house six months prior to us looking at it, to give an estimate for foundation repair. Showed us a copy of the report he had written for the owner, who had sworn there were no known foundation issues when we ask the first time we saw the house. The house needed 27 piers on the outside, and another 20 for the interior walls and slab. Started calling around and found out that they had contacted just about every foundation repair company in the Tulsa area. Needless to say we confronted the owner who still tried to tell us that there were no known issues.

I know that older homes will need repair and all, but don't try to lie to someone who is thinking about buying a home from you in good faith. Just happened way too many times this last go around.

47 piers :bigeye: How big was the house?

The 'chrome' finish on faucets and similar fixture is not a hexavalent chrome plating at all. Most of the time (even on the crappier imported variety of fixtures) it is a Particle Vapor Deposition (PVD) process that makes it bright-n-shiny, not a plating.

The difference in the two processes is that chrome plating deposits a very small film while PVD actually chemically and metalugically changes the surface of the base metal to reflect a specific finish. The advantage is that steel wool and other abrasives that might damage a plated finish can't 'rub off' a PVD finish. PVD finishes also make it very difficult for surface contaminants, trash, or junk to bind to that surface (and make cleaning those surfaces very easy by housemoms not interested in using lots of elbow grease, for example)

... ... ...

:teach:

Tulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, but I'm sure that the people who paid you the $60k profit under the premise of buying 'recently updated fixtures' might have more choice words when the paint starts rubbing off.

I am sure you are not a moron, and you are right about name calling. However, most times the cheapest solution isn't the best. Who wants to be known as a scam artist?

I agree with this. Thats the same as someone selling a car with a bad transmission, but they put some additive that works for a month, then the tranny is trash. (I know not best comparison, but you get it!)

Latest posts

Top Bottom