Anybody smokin' today???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, the ribs came out ridiculous, once again. Nothing special to it, just rubbed with my own spiced-up version of Meathead's Memphis Dust, after kosher salting, of course, then threw them on the smoker with apple pellets @225ish and cooked 'em about 4 1/2 hours. I rotated the three racks twice. They were pull-off-the-bone tender, not quite falling apart, which makes them a pain to slice and sometimes a pain to eat, as well.

Still got 1 1/2 racks sittin' in the fridge to heat up for lunch today.

Just put 2 Angus Choice chuck roasts on the smoker, 3 1/2 lbs and 3 lbs. Gonna smoke 'em about 3 hours with some hickory pellets (and whatever is left of the apple in there from yesterday), then pull 'em off, cut 'em into 1/2" chunks and make two big batches of seriously spicy chili! W00T!

what do you add to the memphis dust?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd have to check my recipe, as I changed a few little things, but mostly I add about 1/3 Tony Chachere's cajun seasoning to amp up the heat. It has a good bit of salt, so you have to be careful if you're salting your meat first. Which I do. Next time, I might try Slap Your Mamma, which has much less salt and is ounce-for-ounce hotter than Tony's. I'm still experimenting with the mix, but that's the basic jist of it. I wanted a little more heat to go with the sweet, and yesterday's ribs were pretty dang good in that department.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never smoked a chuck roast. I might have to give that a shot one of these days.

i did a bunch of research about this topic last week after my wife expressed interest in replicating something her friends in college used to cook.

two ways you can go about it. Either treat it like a pork shoulder and go low and slow and take it up to a high temp and pull it like you would pork, or treat it more like a steak and cook it to a lower temp with a sear.

We salted ours early and then put it in some greek salad dressing to marinade (the jury is out on whether it really helped, we are going to try one without it to see how it compared).

I then threw it on indirect heat with a few pecan chunks and let it go at a very low temp (~200-215°) for a few hours until it reached ~115°. Just before it got up to that temp i started a small amount of coals in the chimney and added them to my other coals to start the sear.

Took the whole thing up to 130° and it was awesome.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's what we've done in the past, cook it low and slow with a rub - the wife says she likes it even better than pulled pork! Makes some great sammiches when you lay down a bed of pulled chuckie on a toasted hoagie roll, throw on some sauteed peppers and onions and layer some provolone over it all. HELLUVA sammich!

Today I just salted and smoked it about 3 hours, then pulled it (woulda been about medium or high medium-rare at this point) and cut it into chunks for my 2 big pots of chili. :D

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put my secret rub on last night and let them rest overnight in the refrigerator for about 14 hours
3 hours of smoke at 210 degrees
made a bed of brown sugar, honey, and real butter
wrapped tight in foil and in the oven at 200 degrees for 2 hours
then I'll put BBQ sauce on them and back in the smoker for an hour at 200 degrees to cook in and dry the sauce.

Resized952017040995152451.jpg
T

Resized952017040995152520.jpg
Resized952017040995152547(1).jpg

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
since corned beef has been on sale I have been trying different ways to smoke it, I am currently working on a corned beef bratwurst and rye hotdog bun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom