Anybody smokin' today???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have smoked on a stick burner for many, many years and just about had it to a science. Slowed down on that, and it burnt out, so since its just the two of us, we went with an electric Cookshack which is very nice, and easy to use.
Wife decided she wanted a Traeger Pellet grill/smoker.
Its been an interesting learning curve. Its a convection type of grill/smoker with different settings for Smoke, and temp settings from 200 to 450 degrees for ours.
Tried a lean pork tenderloin low and slow on the 165 degree smoke setting. About 3 1/2 hours. Bluetooth temp gauge set for medium finish. When we took it out, and cut into it, the juice literally ran out of it every where. Perfectly done, nice color, but the upper part of the loin had turned into almost a rind. Very tough. Ate around it, and was impressed with the moisture left in the loin.
Today, put some pork country style ribs on it with a dry rub. Same deal, 165 degree smoke setting, about 4 hours. Took them off, and had the same type of hard rind on top, but again the clear juices ran everywhere. Very moist.
Burgers, chicken, all the same. Extremely moist when taken off, but pork seems to be the only one having an issue with the hard rind on the top. I'm thinking the convection feature is causing that and might need to baste the pork to keep it soft.
If you like a lot of smoke flavor, the Traeger is not for you. The pellets they sell are pure wood (no bark) and the combustion process is almost 100%. At low temp settings, you do get some smoke flavoring, but its light.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have smoked on a stick burner for many, many years and just about had it to a science. Slowed down on that, and it burnt out, so since its just the two of us, we went with an electric Cookshack which is very nice, and easy to use.
Wife decided she wanted a Traeger Pellet grill/smoker.
Its been an interesting learning curve. Its a convection type of grill/smoker with different settings for Smoke, and temp settings from 200 to 450 degrees for ours.
Tried a lean pork tenderloin low and slow on the 165 degree smoke setting. About 3 1/2 hours. Bluetooth temp gauge set for medium finish. When we took it out, and cut into it, the juice literally ran out of it every where. Perfectly done, nice color, but the upper part of the loin had turned into almost a rind. Very tough. Ate around it, and was impressed with the moisture left in the loin.
Today, put some pork country style ribs on it with a dry rub. Same deal, 165 degree smoke setting, about 4 hours. Took them off, and had the same type of hard rind on top, but again the clear juices ran everywhere. Very moist.
Burgers, chicken, all the same. Extremely moist when taken off, but pork seems to be the only one having an issue with the hard rind on the top. I'm thinking the convection feature is causing that and might need to baste the pork to keep it soft.
If you like a lot of smoke flavor, the Traeger is not for you. The pellets they sell are pure wood (no bark) and the combustion process is almost 100%. At low temp settings, you do get some smoke flavoring, but its light.

It may be the convection drying out the top, but I wonder if bumping the heat to 225 would sear it and stop it at the surface?

I did some chicken legs and jalapeno sausages the other day on my BGE. After a couple of years ceramic kamado cooking still continues to amaze me at how good everything is. I mean everything I've done on it has been good. I've had a couple of marginal cooks, but it was on me, not the cooker.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's what I think as well. The pork is so lean, the convection dries it out. Try basting with some garlic infused oil next time.
why not wrap it in some fatty think sliced bacon? I always wrap a pork tenderloin before I smoke it. plus, why cook it at that low of a temperature?

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Small brisket is in fridge. Salt and cracked pepper only. I'm going to use oak for the first time and I want
To be minimalist with this one.
I smoke On a Weber. Love it

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
why not wrap it in some fatty think sliced bacon? I always wrap a pork tenderloin before I smoke it. plus, why cook it at that low of a temperature?
Basically because I wanted it done when I got home. Had things to do.
Bacon wrapped is always good. Just learning the idiosyncrasies of cooking on this rig.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That IS interesting... I've never had that happen with my Traegar, but then, I haven't done a loin, either. I don't do poultry on it, either, really. For butts and ribs and dillo eggs and such, it has always been perfect.

But pellet smokers DO offer a much milder smoke than stick burners.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Basically because I wanted it done when I got home. Had things to do.
Bacon wrapped is always good. Just learning the idiosyncrasies of cooking on this rig.
I would think that you are actually dehydrating your meat instead of cooking it. I make bacon and jerky at 160 degrees.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would think that you are actually dehydrating your meat instead of cooking it. I make bacon and jerky at 160 degrees.
Actually the cap seals in the juices. Wife and I both commented on how much ran out after the first cut.
Yep that's dehydrating temps, but on a Treager pellet grill, thats the smoke setting. Low and slow.
On our propane grill, we have a rotisserie we have used for pork loins in the past. Not enough internal fat, and they dry out. Pork butts on the other hand, come out super good as they render the fat, and it rolls around the meat keeping the outside moist. Haven't done chicken yet either other than some thighs on med heat.

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually the cap seals in the juices. Wife and I both commented on how much ran out after the first cut.
Yep that's dehydrating temps, but on a Treager pellet grill, thats the smoke setting. Low and slow.
On our propane grill, we have a rotisserie we have used for pork loins in the past. Not enough internal fat, and they dry out. Pork butts on the other hand, come out super good as they render the fat, and it rolls around the meat keeping the outside moist. Haven't done chicken yet either other than some thighs on med heat.

I upgraded my controller to the Savannah Stoker. It's much better now and the temp swings you experience with the stock controller are basically nullified.

My favorite is Tri-tip. Slap some olive oil and then your favorite rub. I vac seal mine and marinate it overnight.

Pellets are 1/2 Hickory 1/4 cherry 1/4 maple mix.

225 until internal temp reads 130. Pull and rest for 10 minutes. Slice across grain and eat. I usually put in on salad with avocado cilantro dressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom