Anyone broken a hand?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is seriously a new level of suck. When I tore up my shoulder at least my entire arm was worthless. Now I have a good arm with effectively a stump on the end.... and a thumb. I broke it Friday night. I was hoping I just jammed a couple of fingers pretty bad. But it swelled up like someone had inflated a rubber glove. I've had tons of jammed fingers but not any that made my actual hand swell and turn black halfway down my palm. I went to the ER last night to find out it was broken. They didn't put a cast on it though. They said they don't do casts. Not that I wanted one, but WTF?

Anyway, I got a splint and it all wrapped up. They said it broke a piece off by my knuckles and I need to follow up with a orthopedic doc. :nolike: Anyone have any idea what I'm in for? How long does this take to heal?

And it takes a long time to type with 1 good hand and a thumb.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Fingers and thumb many times............bones in the "palm" part of my hand never. They all took a while to heal completely, everyone of them ache to this day at various times of the year, and after doing certain tasks, such as working with big tools(farm related), or for long periods of griping or grasping things.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About 8 years ago I punched a metal storage locker, hit right were a shelf was and it did not give any, but my bones did. I was pissed, and when I punched the locker and looked at my knuckle that was no longer in the same spot I got more pissed. Went to the doc and he called it a boxers fracture and said the bone was one degree away from needing to be pinned and gave me the choice. I declined surgery, but got a cast for several weeks. I did get the new style cast that you can actually wash, so it was not terrible. I wish I had it pinned. I had pain for about a year and lost strength and some function for about 2 years. I paid some stupid tax on that move.

That was the last punch I have thrown.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Expiring minds want to know. You did this how?

Only time I did this was on the face of a lout who begged for it. Many years ago. Took a long time to heal. It'll feel good when it quits hurting. Do whatever therapy therapy they recommend..

Boomer7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup, boxer's fractures. 6-8 weeks to heal if IIRC. No major issues. I just cannot spread my fingers as far apart as the other hand. The discomfort level, to me, felt like a severe bruise or soreness. Whereas a Class 3 ankle sprain made me nauseous. Go figure.

Point and Laugh

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've broken a hand. They called it a boxers fracture. Broke the bone between the knuckle and wrist. They didn't put it in a cast at the ER. Had to go to the orthopedic surgery guy for that. In one cast for a week and a half, then another cast for about 5 weeks.
When they say don't use your hand until it's healed, what they really mean is DON'T USE YOUR HAND YOU FRIGGEN MORON. I didn't listen. I trimmed part of the cast off because it was really uncomfortable, and so I could turn door knobs and stuff. Big mistake. I could have been healed in 3 weeks.
Get it in a cast and then forget about using the hand for anything. It really sucks to have to have it rebroken and reset to heal right.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They can't cast it when it's still swollen. Had to go to a hand surgeon and have it repaired. It's was in a cast for 4 weeks after the surgery and then a rigid spint for another 5. Sucks big time.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I broke my 5th metacarpal (bone between knuckles of fingers and wrist. #1 is thumb, #5 is little finger) when I was 15 or so. I went 2 weeks without going to doctor, I was kinda stubborn. At first when I picked up a text book and tried to hold it flat the little finger would give out. I just did everything like an English man drinks tea, I just kept the little finger in the air. When I did go to the doctor, he had an x ray done and said "yep, you have a boxers fracture." " It is already healing up and will need to be re broke so it can be set right." He wanted to schedule an appointment for surgery. (not actual surgery but he wanted to put me under to re break it. I just made a fist and punched into the exam table and then said its broke again! He ordered his nurse to get an Ace bandage and a plaster splint. He soaked the plaster under warm water and then massaged my hand some to line the bones up properly. He formed the plaster splint around the last 2 fingers on my hand and then wrapped it good. He said in 3 weeks I should be good to go. I didn't have any problems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom