Anyone else have a dedicated theater room?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DrJJ that is a nice set up.
Thanks! This house had a nice room set up already but I had to update the components. The old projector was 1080 bulb type and was quite dim even in a dark theater room with literally no ambient light. This new laser unit is 3000 lumens and is quite stunning actually. I was blown away when i got it set up and turned on.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How funny, I was JUST looking into this yesterday evening.

Currently have a 65" 1080p, have been thinking (and fighting with The Wife) about upgrading, but I'm not going to both for a 70". 75" would be my absolute bare minimum upgrade, and I'd like an 80-85". I saw an 82" Samsung at Costco the other day for about $3500 or so and I got to thinking that I could get into a REALLY nice laser projector setup for that. Add in a nice screen and some very small upgrades to my home theater sound and I'm set.

My problem is ROOM. My house isn't really designed for this, and though we have 2 living areas, one is not ideal because of too much ambient light and it's on the west side of the house and is always too hot for me, anyways. Also the orientation of the room isn't right for good theater setup. My other living area is where my TV and computer and recliner are, but I'm currently about 12 feet from my 65". I just don't know that moving to a 100"+ screen is a good idea in such a small space, and there's not another good orientation in that room that would work. I DID do some fiddling with the home theater sound and got it improved last night, though - my subwoofer is working again (yay! I THOUGHT it sounded weak lately - like, for a couple years, lol) and fixed some balance issues with the center channel and poor dialogue levels.

I really just need a new house, but I'm probably a couple years or more away from that. <sigh>

It is funny this popped up for me today though, as last night was the first time in years I've really gotten into researching HT and projectors again. lol
You can spend $25,000 on a new projector, easily. However, I went for the Optoma UHZ65. It’s 4k laser and 3000 lumens with 20,000 hour light source life. They are “only” $5,000 list but you can find deals.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can spend $25,000 on a new projector, easily. However, I went for the Optoma UHZ65. It’s 4k laser and 3000 lumens with 20,000 hour light source life. They are “only” $5,000 list but you can find deals.

Oh, absolutely. I'm not going to spend anything near that, I just want an upgrade to what I've got. I was looking at the LG HU-80k, which is supposed to be phenomenal when it comes out the end of this month. I just don't know that it's worth the expenditure when I have such a small room. My orientation has to be the way it is now, across the short axis of the room, and 12 feet is as far as I can reasonably manage to be from the screen. Then I have to consider the projector positioning at that point. It's just all new to me.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am still rocking an old 32" that may have tubes in it. I know it takes 2 strong men to lift that sucker.

Swapping to a flat screen led will save you some money especially if you have the screen brightness up on your current set. Not to mention no longer having the screen cropped or black bars with current content. Will be a lot clearer as well with a 1080p set vs a CRT.

How funny, I was JUST looking into this yesterday evening.

Currently have a 65" 1080p, have been thinking (and fighting with The Wife) about upgrading, but I'm not going to both for a 70". 75" would be my absolute bare minimum upgrade, and I'd like an 80-85". I saw an 82" Samsung at Costco the other day for about $3500 or so and I got to thinking that I could get into a REALLY nice laser projector setup for that. Add in a nice screen and some very small upgrades to my home theater sound and I'm set.

To me just the upgrade to 4k makes a difference. Even 1080p content looks a lot better at 55 to 65 inches larger will look even better. I was at my fathers place with a 1080p tv when I have been using a 4k for a couple years and honestly the 1080p looked like pure crap. With 4K content it's even better on really big screens and 3D can be a nice bonus as well for some movies.

http://tab-tv.com/wp-content/uploads/4k-Full-HD-HD-SD.png is a decent comparison of sd to hd to 4k. Zoom in and look at things like corners and lines. Look at the difference in the crispness of the carbon fiber pattern in the headlights, the edges and contrast in the buildings, etc. Do you see the crane in the sd picture? How about the reflection in the bumper? As far as converting the wife take her to a showroom where they have real 4k content of something you have watched before. Find a scene with a lot of depth and pause it then have her get within a three feet of the screen.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Swapping to a flat screen led will save you some money especially if you have the screen brightness up on your current set. Not to mention no longer having the screen cropped or black bars with current content. Will be a lot clearer as well with a 1080p set vs a CRT.

To me just the upgrade to 4k makes a difference. Even 1080p content looks a lot better at 55 to 65 inches larger will look even better. I was at my fathers place with a 1080p tv when I have been using a 4k for a couple years and honestly the 1080p looked like pure crap. With 4K content it's even better on really big screens and 3D can be a nice bonus as well for some movies.

http://tab-tv.com/wp-content/uploads/4k-Full-HD-HD-SD.png is a decent comparison of sd to hd to 4k. Zoom in and look at things like corners and lines. Look at the difference in the crispness of the carbon fiber pattern in the headlights, the edges and contrast in the buildings, etc. Do you see the crane in the sd picture? How about the reflection in the bumper? As far as converting the wife take her to a showroom where they have real 4k content of something you have watched before. Find a scene with a lot of depth and pause it then have her get within a three feet of the screen.
Luckily my wife doesn’t care what I buy. She wasn’t happy with the old dim projector so I bought this one. She was very pleased with the upgrade. It would have been an easy sell if I would have had to convince her before I bought.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Luckily my wife doesn’t care what I buy. She wasn’t happy with the old dim projector so I bought this one. She was very pleased with the upgrade. It would have been an easy sell if I would have had to convince her before I bought.

My wife is pretty much the same way. The only thing she asks is "Do we have the money for it?" I have probably ended up with quite a bit of stuff that way. But the tv ended up being a good price when we got it and the smart tv features like being able to use plex and such without switching remotes/turning something else on made my life a lot easier when we cut cable.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Back some years ago, we decided to replace our old Radio Shack Mach II speakers. We went out to Circuit City (I think) and while she was looking at computer stuff, I went in to listen to speakers. Our "budget" as to what she said when we drove to CC kind of got blown up. When she finally came in to listen tot he speakers that I was listening to, she was very impressed with the better sounding, albeit more expensive, speakers. That's what we walked out with. Sadly, they no longer fit in our "entertainment center."

Latest posts

Top Bottom