Anyone have any experience with the DPMS Sportical?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I assembled mine using the instructions on ar15.com found in the "Build it Yourself" section. It's pretty straight forward. If you have the stripped lower, the parts kit, and a few basic tools it can be done in less than an hour.

There are some complete lowers out there to be had too if you don't want to assemble it yourself. The DPMS I have was purchased completely assembled and only cost slightly more than doing it myself. The upper was from Del-Ton. After pushing in two pins, a cleaning and some lube, it was ready to shoot. It's been very reliable.

There are some good vendors here that could probably fix you right up.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...or hang out around the classifieds long enough and pick up a fully kitted AR for your $950

I purchased a RRA through a member here. If you figure in the value of the ammunition, bag, extra mags, mag coupler, sling and other accessories then the rifle itself only cost me about $750-$800.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
mark @ marks firearms has some excellent options and does carry the sportical if you select it. However, I am an old infantry ground pounder, so, for me it is odd to not have a dust cover. Ask Mark what he can do for you in similar money, local in moore, OK.

zodiii

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
mark @ marks firearms has some excellent options and does carry the sportical if you select it. However, I am an old infantry ground pounder, so, for me it is odd to not have a dust cover. Ask Mark what he can do for you in similar money, local in moore, OK.

That is one of the big things I think I will miss on it, not that I will really need it, but hey, you never know.

I think I'm going to build now, I stayed up too late last night looking at stuff on the internet, and it seems that I can get what I want for a really good price if I build it. Err, well build it using a barreled upper.

The big question for me know is whether I want to build a tack driver or go a bit more "tactical" style with it.

TonyRumore

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one in the shop the other day and took it out for a spin. It cycled everything without a problem and accuracy was fine considering the foreign military surplus ammo I was using. The only thing that really needed to be fixed was the trigger. It was gritty, and stutter stepped back about 5 times before letting the hammer go. That drives me nuts, but some guys just jerk through it all and never know the difference.

For the money, its got a lot of value.

Tony

P.S. DPMS has no 19 round mags in stock at the moment, so plan on buying spares elsewhere.

88gmchog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is one of the big things I think I will miss on it, not that I will really need it, but hey, you never know.

I think I'm going to build now, I stayed up too late last night looking at stuff on the internet, and it seems that I can get what I want for a really good price if I build it. Err, well build it using a barreled upper.

The big question for me know is whether I want to build a tack driver or go a bit more "tactical" style with it.

i am in the process of building mine or rather gathering parts for it. but i will be doing my shopping at marks. i say that because i can get my 11.5'' upper for under $600 with the bcg! and i already have a stripped lower, either way if you want a good idea of cost or to buy a good gun at a good price go by and check with him or pm him on here Nighthawk also check out this and look for his specials

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88356

:teach:

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DPMS is the largest or 2nd largest manufacturer if I'm mistaken of AR rifles. They are owned by the conglomerate that owns Remington and a few other well known gun companies. They are huge sponsors of the shooting sports as well. They make parts for and rifles for several of the smaller AR companies too. So what I'm saying is DPMS is a good company to be buying your rifle from.
Now in regards to the sportical model it is their lowest priced model so you won't be getting a lot of extras. Someone else mentioned it not having a forward assist, dust cover, or sights. No big deal there as you don't need the forward assist or dust cover and probably wouldn't want the sights they would use on a $600-700 rifle. If your just looking for a cheap rifle from a reputable manufacturer this is it.
If you plan to put a bunch of extras on this gun later on you may be better served browsing the classifieds for a rifle with the goodies you desire already installed.
If you want a rifle that's as accurate as can be the sportical has a lightweight chrome lined barrel which is accurate enough for plinking and hunting just not the most accurate barrel out there.
I bought my first AR during the rifle/ammo shortage in late 2008. I was looking for one of these Sporticals everywhere but couldn't find one. So I ended up buying a S&W M&P15R which shoots the Russian 223 like caliber, 5.45x39. The rifle will cost you about $200-300 more but the ammo is cheap! I have 5000+ rounds in the closet at an average price of $.14/round and all of that was purchased during the ammo shortage:) The cheapest Russian 223 I have found is about $.20/round. That $.05 adds up quick when you shoot a lot. Just something to think about there.

Good luck with whatever you buy/build. Don't forget to bring your new rifle out to shoot the practical action style rifle match with us on June 20th at OKC gun club. It will be the most fun you have ever had shooting rifles i guarantee it!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom