Anyone know about 9mm Colt AR's in BA? Also M&P15-22 good deal at same place.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Uzi mags in the AR 9mm platform are OK. There is actually a mag well converter to allow the use of unmodified Uzi mags in the AR platform. I got one of the first generation varieties when they first came out and it needed a bit of modification to work. However, 10 minutes of dremel time and I was up and running. It takes getting used to because the mag release is different from the standard AR. Hitting your receiver button can drop your magwell out instead of your mag.

Modified Uzi mags are OK, but....they are finicky. It all depends on the cut for the catch. I've tried some in the past and they are picky about comparability with various uppers and lowers. If you find ones that work for your setup, great.

9mm in the AR is a blast. It is one of my "go to" combination for a range trip.

Dave

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I bought 4 Metalform mags for somewhere around a million billion. Still, they work flawlessly, so there you go. No plastic to dent either. Dustin has a pile of C Products, and has no problems... and his is FA.

I was first gonna by that mag block for unmodified Uzi mags, but couldn't get past the hugeness. Still, If a guy was only gonna have one AR, and many uppers, seems like a smart way to go. You can buy very clean, un-modded Uzi mags for $10 a whack.

Ratski Dave,

I haven't had any trouble with mags I have done myself, but I am anal about dimensions. I bought one those modded Uzi mags from Brownell's when I firt got started on this, and found, like some others, the notch was way too wide, allowing for a lot of movement. When I did my first one, I made the notch as narrow as I could get away with. Makes a huge difference. I'm thinking about adding a thin strip to the back side (like a Sten but thinner) to achieve an even snugger fit. The only times it has been finicky were when my 9 year old uses it as a grip in rapid fire. He's a mad man.

Actually, as I only have mine to use for measurements, I'm in need of a couple of volunteers to let me measure the fit of mags in their 9mm ARs. Anyone?

I love, I mean LOVE shooting my 9mm AR. You feel like you are still shooting something, unlike a 22 conversion, and you can afford to shoot it often. 9mm is still $10.99 at my WalMart, and Red River sells it even cheaper by the thousands. Plus, in the nut job, ninja, screw ball mind, you only need one round if you are a 9mm pistol guy, which I am.

I use a 10.5 inch barrel with a long perm attached FH. It's really something like 11.2 inches. Anything longer, and most bullets start slowing down. Somewhere I have the guy's # that sells a long FH in 1/2-36". I think it was the usual $20.

Have you gotten started yet? What? Are you still sitting there, reading this? Seriously???

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Super Dave,

It isn't just the fit of the mag in the well that makes a difference, it is also the type of magblock and how it is installed.

A two piece magwell block with screw attachments might be set in place differently each time it is seated. Same goes for some of the one piece adapters that fit from the bottom. Then, the other variable is the distance from the bolt in the upper to the mag catch. If you are off just a little, the mag is wiggly/wobbley.

I'd be more than happy to try some of your mags in my AR and see how they fit and function.

Dave

Dave

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to have a CMMG 9mm AR upper with a ramped BCG so the hammer didn't need to be changed on my standard AR lower. I did use a 9mm buffer and a Hahn mag block adapter. It was a lot of fun to shoot, but I realized that it was still 10 cents more per shot than my 5.45x39 upper with a fraction of the effective range, so I sold it here on OSA.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Super Dave,

It isn't just the fit of the mag in the well that makes a difference, it is also the type of magblock and how it is installed.

A two piece magwell block with screw attachments might be set in place differently each time it is seated. Same goes for some of the one piece adapters that fit from the bottom. Then, the other variable is the distance from the bolt in the upper to the mag catch. If you are off just a little, the mag is wiggly/wobbley.

I'd be more than happy to try some of your mags in my AR and see how they fit and function.

Dave

Dave

Sweet Dave, you're on!

What kind of mag block do you use? I only have experienced the one Hahn makes for Spikes. It locks in place with two expanding tensioners. I measure it from the top of the lower receiver each time I take it out. .020" proud of the top surface. Like I said, I'm anal. I really like it because you can adjust the height of the ejector.

I am hoping putting a little material on the back side will eliminate the wobble potential in any setup. It will both fill the gap some, and push the magazine to fit more under the thin lip of the bullet guide.

Anyway, what kind of receiver do you have also? Are you gonna be in OKC any time soon? If so, holler, and bring it by. I'd like to take a few measurements.

Latest posts

Top Bottom