anyone know much about Lugers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty1444

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Which ones are more collectible? I hear the wood grips and mags are even SN'd to the gun. Are they all Nazi marked? I am seeing the term straw marked? Any recommendations would help.

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which ones are more collectible? I hear the wood grips and mags are even SN'd to the gun. Are they all Nazi marked? I am seeing the term straw marked? Any recommendations would help.

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Luger (also known as the P-08) came out in 1908 which was long before the Nazi party, so no, they are not all Nazi marked.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Luger was available prior to becoming a standard German sidearm in 1908
as the p08, you might checkout the luger forums.

J.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Luger was available prior to becoming a standard German sidearm in 1908
as the p08, you might checkout the luger forums.

J.

That is true. I had forgotten about the civilian versions before the German Army adopted them. I believe it was actiually patented in the late 1890's and first produced around 1900.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, but he ain't given up much info.

Ouch. I collect Walthers mainly. I just started really collecting them not so long ago, so you know what they say about a little knowledge?

Collecting Lugers is probably the single biggest risk you can take in buying guns. They are all expensive. Even mistmatched "shooters" start at about $700. Most models are $1500-4000. Even the holsters can be worth up to $800 by themselves. The "take down tools" are expensive. Additionally, because they are so valuable, there is a ton of fraud. People "mock up"guns. I even had a guy tell me that some industrious crooks are stamping out magazine numbers to enhance the values on antique presses.

There are lots of variations, but generally Lugers can be divided into the following catagories:

Pre WW I
WW I
Weimar
Nazi/WW II

The most valuable are certain pre-War and certain Nazi marked ones.

Condition is everything. The better the finish and bore, the more valuable the pistol. Matching serial numbers are a must, except most magazines won't be numbered to the guns (when you do find this they command a premium). Good condition holsters and take down tools improve value.

Later I will add some links. Tired now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom