AR-15 Brands Ranked

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmc tom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife likes the cute deer on my Stag 3G
When stag arms came out with left hand eject and controls, I sold my early 70's SP1(no brass deflector or forward assist) and bought the stag arms. Very nice not getting hot brass down my shirt.
....and the deer is cute.

Attachments

• 16597292701837784107573128267111.jpg
    16597292701837784107573128267111.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 16597293210793480472705731305404.jpg
    16597293210793480472705731305404.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Typical gun rag nonsense. More like a tier grouping of how much they spend on advertising, not quality of build.
Kind of like back in the day there was a gun rag that told what a piece of crap a Polytech M-14 was compared to a Springfield M1A. The rag had 8 pages of Springfield ads. A friend bought into their nonsense, sold his Poly which was extremely accurate and bought the Springfield gold medal super whoopty doo gun. Gun jammed a lot. and never would group good. At 200 yards Poly grouped 2 inches. He could never get the springfield under 6 inches. I have NO use for gun rag ratings.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't read the article but have been seeing such debates on arfcom for years. A lot of it is just a peeing contest. I only have have one factory built AR, a Colt 6940. the rest are all frankenguns built to suit a specific whim or purpose. My first one was a Model 1 Sales kit on an Olympic receiver. I have another that's a Delton upper on cheap lower. My favorite is built with a BCM barrel and BCG, Midwest handguard, Geiselle trigger and a Aimpoint H-1. That one wasn't cheap by any means. No need to go into detail on the others, just trying to show a range of parts quality.

"Better" can be a little difficult to define and not everybody sees better in the same way. For me, better means more durable and more reliable in function and accuracy. Too much of the time people see nicer or more visually appealing as better, but they're not the same thing. If the accuracy is good, the function is reliable, and durability is high, it's hard to get better.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ranking is a surefire way to get a lot of reads and spark a lot of debates. Seems like the gun rags and sites would do it more often.

Now, I personally fully believe that there is an existence of higher quality materials, parts, workmanship, and testing in some brands. However, even your lower tier brands are capable (most of the time) of sustaining the few hundred rounds that most users will put through them before loading them up and storing the rifles in a closet as a HD weapon.

I've carried both an FN M16A4 and a Colt M4A1 in Iraq, and both served me well. I still keep an FN DMR II by the back door for hogs, dogs, and coyotes...but my HD rifles are made by Daniel Defense.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 292012
Nickel Lantac Enhanced BCG that I bought for a PDW before realizing my PDW stock had to use the proprietary BCG (Troy PDW). Nether made it on my build and are hanging out in my house so I have no first hand knowledge about wear and tear on it. I will slide it into something eventually or sell it.
Sell it

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some parts are higher quality than others, better materials and/or better workmanship. But the only failure I've had was one of the Model 1 parts. At 2000 rounds, I started having extraction problems that required replacement of an extractor spring.

I would never argue that there aren't different levels of quality in AR-15 rifles but if all someone could afford is one of the guns in the lower tiers they would most likely be well served by it.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked at the article, and saw an additional link on the best Eotech sights to buy. He listed 4 of them, and a clone. The clone was an airport knock off...

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know the Sig 225 served Europe very well.
Two different companies now and Sig USA doesnt provide the same quality as the Swiss/German company does. Unfortunately Sig USA feels its cheaper to put out a product with out enough testing. Sig 556, Sig 556R, Sig 556xi, Sig 556xiR P365, Sig MCX, Sig MPX, etc...

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Two different companies now and Sig USA doesnt provide the same quality as the Swiss/German company does. Unfortunately Sig USA feels its cheaper to put out a product with out enough testing. Sig 556, Sig 556R, Sig 556xi, Sig 556xiR P365, Sig MCX, Sig MPX, etc...
I like my 220 and my 225 as I am not interested in high cap mags. I think a lot of people waste tons of ammo trying to "hit" the target so they have a need to spray and pray. Kind of like the AR in Vietnam to those of us who remember.

Latest posts

Top Bottom