AR-15 Brands Ranked

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I did misconstrue your comment Seadog, I'm sorry.

As for Titanium as a carrier material, I think you are thinking of a different material Cseverns. Titanium is very light and it weights just a touch more than an aluminum carrier. No top tier manufacturer would use one unless it was an all out competition firearm. The problem with Titanium as a carrier material is they tend to flame cut at the back of the bolt and wear where the bolt tail goes through the back of the carrier. Suddenly your rifle will stop functioning usually around 1500-2500 rounds. Titanium is NOT a good carrier material.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The real problem with titanium is the tooling required to cut the metal prevents any feasible/affordable to the public attempt at selling it for too long.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I posted up the Eugene Stoner tapes awhile back, he talks about how the original chrome spec’d for the bolt carrier groups was much better and expensive than the cheaper option that was used in production. Some of the short comings of the original M-16 weren’t due to the design flaws.

CSeverns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I did misconstrue your comment Seadog, I'm sorry.

As for Titanium as a carrier material, I think you are thinking of a different material Cseverns. Titanium is very light and it weights just a touch more than an aluminum carrier. No top tier manufacturer would use one unless it was an all out competition firearm. The problem with Titanium as a carrier material is they tend to flame cut at the back of the bolt and wear where the bolt tail goes through the back of the carrier. Suddenly your rifle will stop functioning usually around 1500-2500 rounds. Titanium is NOT a good carrier material.
No, they really do exist. See below. They’re not cheap either.

https://www.2a-arms.com/product-p/2a-lwtibcg-a-blk-ion-bond.htmhttps://www.tacticallink.com/rubber...in-black-nitride-finish-for-ar15-rifles.html https://www.opticsplanet.com/walker-defense-research-ar-15-m16-m4-titanium-bolt-carrier-group.html

Last edited:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That’s good hear. Mostly, I was speaking to well made brass cased 5.56 ammunition that’s loaded to mil-spec as a baseline. I’m not knocking steel cased ammunition, but I don’t know how much of it is loaded to the same standard.
What I bought for less than 50 cents per round to the door was brass cased M193 and M855 equivalent by PMC.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am well aware that Titanium carriers exist, matter of fact I had one of the very first ones made back in 2007. It lasted right at 1800 rounds and then quit like flipping a light switch. Jerry got one at the same time and his quit at about 2000 rounds. We both were trying to figure it out and found both eroded badly in the hole the bolt tail goes through. They allowed way too much gas to leak so they wouldn't cycle. Both of us decided that wasn't a good material to use, and so far as I talk to folks that try them I still say it's the wrong material.

CSeverns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am well aware that Titanium carriers exist, matter of fact I had one of the very first ones made back in 2007. It lasted right at 1800 rounds and then quit like flipping a light switch. Jerry got one at the same time and his quit at about 2000 rounds. We both were trying to figure it out and found both eroded badly in the hole the bolt tail goes through. They allowed way too much gas to leak so they wouldn't cycle. Both of us decided that wasn't a good material to use, and so far as I talk to folks that try them I still say it's the wrong material.
Did it not have an adjustable gas key?

Last edited:

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, it had an adjustable gas block. A friend of mine had one of the first Rubber City carriers and it failed the same way. Mean while the aluminum carrier I got in 1999 is still working, but it is high maintenance got oil it all the time, but it is a racing part.

Latest posts

Top Bottom