AR-15 SBR requirements ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Short barrels (with rifle calibers) don't make any sense unless you add a sound suppressor, and that's yet another $200 stamp. And considerably more building ability (or money if you're buying one) THEN, however, you'll have something that is not only super fun to own, but practical/advantageous.

But that loud BOOM and the huge fireball is half the fun.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Short barrels (with rifle calibers) don't make any sense unless you add a sound suppressor, and that's yet another $200 stamp. And considerably more building ability (or money if you're buying one) THEN, however, you'll have something that is not only super fun to own, but practical/advantageous.

Unless that rifle cartridge was designed for SBRs like 300 blk. Then you've got AK ballistics in the trusty AR platform in a ~26" platform.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and blast that ruins you after one shot. you can't walk around a combat area with earprotection and if you tried, you'd probably lose them the first time you dived prone. if blast and flash are your thing, a whole lot of cherry bombs and M80's can be bought for the price of the 300's upper.

SBRs lend themselves to suppression. A suppressed SBR is now your battle rifle length. But no need for ears...There really isn't a point here. Cherry bombs and M80s aren't weapons either.

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No one is claiming to use an SBR as a substitute for a battle rifle.

If I may...
Why not? SOCOM's been doing it since 'nam. SWAT does it. HRT, SRT, and many other teams and operators in 3-letter agencies use them as well, because they understand its purpose and know what they will be using the weapon system for. In the hills of freakin' Afghaniraq yeah... give me that few extra FPS and flatter trajectory, but if (God forbid) anyone on this board every needed to use a rifle in some sort of civil war or zombie apocalypse/ economic collapse, what engagement distances are you realistically going to see unless you make very specific plans to do otherwise (until your position is blown after your first 2 or 3 rounds, and then you fall back to your CQB Basics anyways!)

An SBR, much like a Sniper Rifle, is a tool. A tool specifically designed to perform a certain task. Just like working on your car, you need to determine the task before you can choose your tools.

Though many of you may be fortunate enough to live out in the country, I would tend to assume that the majority of this post's readers could implement an SBR into their Defense Design quite successfully.

Mike

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You cannot efile a Form 1 since 41F took effect back in July. Trusts must now provide photos and fingerprints of their responsible members, so efile is a no go.

Poobags...you're right. Forgot about the Executive order nonsense...

If I may...
Why not? SOCOM's been doing it since 'nam. SWAT does it. HRT, SRT, and many other teams and operators in 3-letter agencies use them as well, because they understand its purpose and know what they will be using the weapon system for. In the hills of freakin' Afghaniraq yeah... give me that few extra FPS and flatter trajectory, but if (God forbid) anyone on this board every needed to use a rifle in some sort of civil war or zombie apocalypse/ economic collapse, what engagement distances are you realistically going to see unless you make very specific plans to do otherwise (until your position is blown after your first 2 or 3 rounds, and then you fall back to your CQB Basics anyways!)

An SBR, much like a Sniper Rifle, is a tool. A tool specifically designed to perform a certain task. Just like working on your car, you need to determine the task before you can choose your tools.

Though many of you may be fortunate enough to live out in the country, I would tend to assume that the majority of this post's readers could implement an SBR into their Defense Design quite successfully.

Mike

From what I understand, a 556 SBR is more wasteful than a 300 SBR in terms of velocity loss, flash, and reliability. In theory, a 9" SBR and a 16" rifle in 300blk, shouldn't show any serious difference in ballistics?

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I understand, a 556 SBR is more wasteful than a 300 SBR in terms of velocity loss, flash, and reliability. In theory, a 9" SBR and a 16" rifle in 300blk, shouldn't show any serious difference in ballistics?

For the most part, yes, that is correct. A 9" 300BLK will carry quite a bit more energy than a 5.56 in the same length and the loss in velocity on 300 from 14.5-16" is negligible.
And don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE endorser of the 300 cartridge and I (along with my assistant, the 2011 Travis Haley video) actually recieve quite a bit of business doing conversions from 5.56/223 to 300 Blackout, but once again, a firearm of any type is a tool. If you're looking for something to enjoy and take to the range or hunting, IMO you're not going to beat the blackout.
If you're looking for something to suppress later, again, 300 is the optimal cartridge.
But... if you're seeking a long term, zombie busting(my absolute favorite SHTF analogy) CQB tool, unless you are planning on buying 10k rounds of 300BLK to set aside before that happens, you may want to take a stronger look at the more popular round as 300BLK will be absolutely impossible to find on any shelf roughly 48hrs after said event begins.

Reguardless, if you are looking to suppress in the very near future, you may want to think about a dedicated-suppressed upper. In the near future, we at APH Tactical, are actually looking to begin manufacturing dedicated-suppressed URs in 5.56, 300BLK and 7.62, selling them as kits that include lightweight BCG, as well as the buffer and buffer spring used while dialing in the gas system. Benefits being that you are not just slapping a silencer on a hobby gun; the end user now has a completely reliable and accurate weapon system that was literally born suppressed. Additionally, as the system now boasts a 16-18" barrel as per ATF regulations, there is no need for the additional tax stamp on your lower to SBR. The downside of course is that though you can move the upper from lower to lower, you would not have the ability to move the suppressor from one completed firearm to another.

Mike

Latest posts

Top Bottom