AR/AK Pistol/Rifle for Car/truck gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hworth18

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been tossing around the idea of carrying a AR Pistol (and extra mags) in the trunk just in case of a SHTF event. The issue I have is leaving it in the trunk all the time and what happens if my car gets stolen or broken into? I don't want some thug getting ahold of my weapon. I always carry concealed, but I get the feeling a handgun may not be enough with the way things are going. I know I can have a AR pistol, but can I legally tote a rifle around in the trunk?
Am I being paranoid, or do I have a valid concern?

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
gotta have a "Go bag" and bring it in every night - but yes , you can legally have a loaded rifle in your trunk ready to go

Regarding someone breaking in while youre at work or running errands or something -- well, we cant control the actions of too many people but ourselves . If its in a locked trunk and covered with a blanket to boot, youre doing all you can be reasonably expected to do

-- my back country setup. If im going into town , the levergun hits the rear storage compartment and the 1911 takes its rightful place in the glovebox

veY8Iool.jpg

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depending on where Im going, who is with me, and how long Im going to be out dictates how much gear I travel with. But day to day in the rural, I keep an emergency pistol holstered in the center console and a rifle with a loaded mag (empty chamber) and 1-2 spare mags for both guns. For me, that gives me something to work with in the event I need it. We would like to think we wont, but the moment you do (like some of those Israelis recently) and dont have it, you be wishing you had a good long gun!

If I go to the city and have to leave my vehicle parked, I take out everything I value and hope I dont need more than a pistol. I do hate not having a rifle somewhat nearby, am I the only one?

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I kept an AR pistol in the truck for a short period of time. Bought a sweet coffin shaped back pack style carry bag for it.

But I ended up being concerned about it getting stolen more often than feeling comforted by it. So I switched back to just my carry pistol.

Unless I’m going into certain circumstances or unless society has officially become crazy dangerous I’m good with just a pistol 95% of the time

An old 18.5” 12ga pump occasionally comes along for a ride too. Not quite as worried about that one getting stolen either because it’s a lot less valuable.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having experienced and had to commute during SHTF events, with an AK pistol, and later an AR pistol I am going to say you dont need to keep a rifle in your car. These events usually have some lead up (if you are paying attention):and dont tend to pop up out of the blue. During such times your main goal is going to be getting on with your life and avoiding conflict. Just like dealing with road blocks or marches you need to be looking ahead. If you see the road blocked, turn around, take a side street etc, dont get stuck in it. You are not LE, you are likely not part of the event, and have no responsibility for stopping whatever is going on. Keep your head down and get out... Dont forget your pistol.

As previous posters said. Keeping a rifle in the car carries more risk of it getting stolen then reward.

Last edited:

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Having experienced and had to commute during SHTF events, with an AK pistol, and later an AR pistol I am going to say you dont need to keep a rifle in your car. These events usually have some lead up (if you are paying attention):and dont tend to pop up out of the blue. During such times your main goal is going to be getting on with your life and avoiding conflict. Just like dealing with road blocks or marches you need to be looking ahead. If you see the road blocked, turn around, take a side street etc, dont get stuck in it. You are not LE, you are likely not part of the event, and have no responsibility for stopping whatever I'd going on. Keep your head down and get out... Dont forget your pistol.

As previous posters said. Keeping a rifle in the car carries more risk of it getting stolen than reward.
This^^^^

100% gospel truth!

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All the above posts have covered my thoughts, concerns, reactions to events over the last 20+ years. Couldn’t add anything new or useful other than a subjective observation/mental meandering. When it comes to deciding how much spare mags, ammo, caliber size, long gun, handgun type, to carry, if in your best judgement it’s necessary, then it is. Should all your decisions be affected by what some miserable thief might do to your unattended, locked vehicle?

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
. Should all your decisions be affected by what some miserable thief might do to your unattended, locked vehicle?

No. That said, in the event i am carrying a long gun (pic i posted up above notwithstanding) - its not the finest in my gunsafe either - its usually a basic no frills AR. Not a $400 one, but certainly not a $3000 rig either

Latest posts

Top Bottom