Permitless Carry in a vehicle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
since we are a permitless carry state i just to be clear on a thing or two,,do i have to keep a pistol on me in the car , or can i have it near me say on the seat across from me under a towel or under center console concealed??? or in the door catch all??what about a long gun ?? near me or in the trunk???does our permitless carry apply to long guns under a coat, concealed in the winter?? or pistols only??

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's Constitutional Carry in Oklahoma. Put it where you want it and you do not have to notify LEO if you are armed within your vehicle unless they ask and then you must reply.

But it's a pretty good idea to tell us, because when we see guns in cars, we usually respond in a way that you wouldn't like. You show me yours, I'll show you mine.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But it's a pretty good idea to tell us, because when we see guns in cars, we usually respond in a way that you wouldn't like. You show me yours, I'll show you mine.
I always tell, even though it's not required. I've never had a bad response. I have a lead foot so get pulled over occasionally to support the county budget.
It's interesting that the local folks want you to stay in the vehicle while OHP wants you to join them in theirs.
I've informed them that I have a pistol in my pocket, and they still invite me into the cruiser with the pistol intact other than one time when Constitution carry was first enacted. An OHP was informed I was armed and had a pistol here and there as well as one in my pocket. He asked me to pull it out and put it on the dash before coming back to his vehicle. I refused, and said that in the day of body cams, I was not going to take my hands off the steering wheel and make a movement to where my pistol was located.
I gave him permission to open my door and personally reach inside my pocket to remove the firearm but I refused to do it myself. Wife was doing a video.
I got the ticket which was deserved but got to stay in my vehicle.
I totally understand walking up to a vehicle in the dark or daylight for that matter and now knowing what might happen if some deranged person may be inside.
I have been stopped by a tribal cop in Osage county with a long gun in the passenger seat.
I actually passed him at about 40 mph over the speed limit as I had to come home from a morning deer hunt to do wifey chores, and then drive 45 miles back to the farm. Unmarked vehicle, he saw the rifle, asked the right questions, was satisfied and probably a husband and deer hunter, so he let me off with a stern warning........LOL
A firearm should not be a warning or a threat to anyone when visible, open carry and all.
Oklahoma allows us now to carry anywhere and at any time unless in restricted areas as it should be.

Edit:
In your situation, where you're in a restricted area, I can certainly see where there would be a situation where an exposed gun may cause a heightened alert.
I may not agree with that policy, but you have to work within those guidelines of your employer.

Last edited:

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Yall are getting better too. I noticed it, people want to be negative to police...me included, but I been thinking about it.

I was wrong. Walk down the street with that vector, cops wave at me. See me in the yard with a black rain AR10 and just smile.

I know they know who I am, but before the pandemic that wouldn't have happened.

They were protecting and serving the hell out of that Del City game tonight. They had city planners, ex mayor's, ex football coaches and cops.

No one said boo. That to me isn't compliance it is public trust, yall doing that again.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember years ago, I stopped a guy and he presented me with his license and SDA card. I asked if he was currently armed, he said he was. I asked him where the weapon was located and he said shoulder rig. I simply asked him to zip his jacket up and keep his hands on the wheel while we're on the side of the road. No problem whatsoever.

That was many years ago when the SDA was a brand new thing. Most of us cops we're a little apprehensive about the whole ideology of concealed weapons. But, as years have went by, we've all accepted and even embraced it. Hell, more than once, after sizing a guy up, determining what sort of feller he is, I've been known to talk a little shop with armed individuals I come in contact with.

And on the college campus where I work, firearms are strictly prohibited, but I know there are some country boys that attend school here that surely have weapons in their vehicles. I don't raz em about it because, who knows, there may be a day and time where they might come to my rescue if I'm ever in a fix.

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember years ago, I stopped a guy and he presented me with his license and SDA card. I asked if he was currently armed, he said he was. I asked him where the weapon was located and he said shoulder rig. I simply asked him to zip his jacket up and keep his hands on the wheel while we're on the side of the road. No problem whatsoever.

That was many years ago when the SDA was a brand new thing. Most of us cops we're a little apprehensive about the whole ideology of concealed weapons. But, as years have went by, we've all accepted and even embraced it. Hell, more than once, after sizing a guy up, determining what sort of feller he is, I've been known to talk a little shop with armed individuals I come in contact with.

And on the college campus where I work, firearms are strictly prohibited, but I know there are some country boys that attend school here that surely have weapons in their vehicles. I don't raz em about it because, who knows, there may be a day and time where they might come to my rescue if I'm ever in a fix.
I have noticed more cops lately with Amazon optics and pretty basic stuff.

Never see weapons they personalize...but yall sure get tattoos. Like a lot of them. Swear it is a competition or something among yourselves.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have noticed more cops lately with Amazon optics and pretty basic stuff.

Never see weapons they personalize...but yall sure get tattoos. Like a lot of them. Swear it is a competition or something among yourselves.

Yeah, that's them kids. I'm 55 years old and have been a cop since 1989 (34 years). I don't have a single tattoo. No not one. I've never found anything that I am so passionate about enough to have it permanently affixed to my body. :disappoin

As for the gear? Heh, heh, heh...I carry a Glock 43X (sometimes a G45) a spare mag, one pair of cuffs, a Surefire G2X Tactical and a Spyderco Tenacious. Screw all that other heavy crap. I don't need it. At the end of the day, my back hurts bad enough. I don't wanna add another 50 pounds worth of crap to it. :hellno:

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's them kids. I'm 55 years old and have been a cop since 1989 (34 years). I don't have a single tattoo. No not one. I've never found anything that I am so passionate about enough to have it permanently affixed to my body. :disappoin

As for the gear? Heh, heh, heh...I carry a Glock 43X (sometimes a G45) a spare mag, one pair of cuffs, a Surefire G2X Tactical and a Spyderco Tenacious. Screw all that other heavy crap. I don't need it. At the end of the day, my back hurts bad enough. I don't wanna add another 50 pounds worth of crap to it. :hellno:
You know what I mean? I have seen many a cop in places like Atlanta with and ar15 pistol some fennachi red dot, and never oiled it, or cleaned it.

SC too.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know what I mean? I have seen many a cop in places like Atlanta with and ar15 pistol some fennachi red dot, and never oiled it, or cleaned it.

SC too.

They may not know how. I've come to realize that most cops aren't gun guys. That was one of the driving forces why I signed up...to carry a gun! :w000t:

34 years later, I'm sick and tired of totin' one. I can hardly wait for retirement when all I hafta carry is an Airweight J frame as a "get off me" gat just to keep the thugs away.

But yeah, most modern day cops couldn't care less than two shits about guns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom