AR trouble at the range......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

green_machine

and the scratched on the casings should be normal. just the bullets ramping up on the locking lugs. and like above comment. check gas tube. spray cleaner through it and let it run out the muzzle.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the extreme pressures going through the gas tube, I can't imagine any problems in the gas tube, ever.
I shot thousands of rounds through an M16 in the early 70's.
Gas tubes never came into the picture.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the extreme pressures going through the gas tube, I can't imagine any problems in the gas tube, ever.
I shot thousands of rounds through an M16 in the early 70's.
Gas tubes never came into the picture.

Exactly. The port pressure on an M16 is 12,000psi (carbine length gas systems are even higher). If that much hot gas pressure won't blow out an obstruction in the tube, there is nothing you are going to do with a pipe cleaner or some spray solvent.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know it was mentioned but did you check your gas block? I had that problem with a build I had in CA, every other time I went out to shoot the gas block would loosen up and then I was stuck having to manually cycle cause I always forgot my tools.

kevin40_2001

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update: I checked the key screws and they were tight and no issues. I inspected the gas block and didn't notice anything abnormal there either. I did notice the gun was REALLY dirty. I guess firing off 100 rounds....letting it set.....taking it out and firing off more rounds...letting it set maybe had caught up with it.

I got her all cleaned up but have yet to take it out. I will likely do so this weekend if I get some extra time.

Would that cause the issues if there was build up?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It should be capable of firing a lot more than 100+ rounds without malfunctioning so you definately have something wrong.

You never answered if the bolt was cycling or not. Is it cycling but not extracting the round...not cycling at all..or short cycling?

kevin40_2001

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It should be capable of firing a lot more than 100+ rounds without malfunctioning so you definately have something wrong.

You never answered if the bolt was cycling or not. Is it cycling but not extracting the round...not cycling at all..or short cycling?

Sorry, I guess my post wasn't clear. I have put about 400 rounds through it on about 5 separate occasions since really cleaning it.

The bolt is cycling. I was able to fire the first round no problem then it would get hung on the second round. It soon after that quit ejecting the first round as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom