Are high-dollar graphite/cork fishing rods..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
really worth the extreme extra money to the average occasional fisherman, over a $15 Shakespeare rod?

Academy has some nice graphite rods 1/2 off right now (clearance sale), but just the rod would still be two to three times the cost of basic rod/reel combo that I use and like, even when 1/2 off.

What in the HECK do they DO for that extra $75-$100 more? Give you a footrub after the trip? Heck, even these high-dollar rods on clearance don't even secure each eyelet with two 'bases' (instead of one), except for just the first eye, which has two bases (four 'arms'). Certainly doesn't scream 'quality' to me.

I understand full well the 'whys' involved in the variety of gun configurations available for hunting. But for the life of me, I have never been able to figure out the need for the extreme variety of choices out there in rods and reels, and why anyone would shell out $300-$400 for the Johnny Redneck Bumpkin signature reel, or a $200 rod. But then again, I ain't the sharpest tool hangin in the shed.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've broken several $15 rods from wallyworld. Never broken one of my $100 rods.

Really, the cost of a good rod and reel is nothing when you consider how long it will last if you take care of it. Figure up how much bait, tackle, and trip expenses you'll have over the life of the rod and it is probably just a drop in the bucket total.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm, okay, so they will in fact be more durable. Well that's a good reason; thanks. Still I don't understand the $400 baitcast reel thing.

Neither do I.

I do understand the high end fly rod thing, though. You do a lot of work with the rod. A good graphite rod has a much better feel than a glass one.

I also understand the high end salt water rod thing. I spent a year trying to get a hookup on a big mako shark, fishing out of a small boat. I was willing to spend big bucks to have the strongest, most reliable gear when I got that hookup. The cost of the rod was pennies on the dollar that it cost to fish for a year.

For simple, small casting or spinning rigs - nope. I don't get it. Ask some guy with a $30k bass boat.

jej

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The graphite rods are generally lighter, have more sensitivity and more backbone. I love my $100 Falcon rods, but the best rod I ever had was an Abu-Garcia Gold Max graphite I paid $28 for at an outdoor show.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you mean by more backbone - durability or what?

The power and energy the rod stores for fighting bigger fish. You want sensitivity at the tip to detect soft hits, but you want the lower portion of the rod to be stiff enough to not bow all the way over when you hook a big one. That helps you tire out the fish, not you! :)

With that said, all the backbone in the world will not help you net a really big one if you don't have a smooth drag system that's properly set. A lot of people make the mistake of leaving their drag set all the time. That will cause hard spots that can lead to more breakoffs. After each trip, you should back your drag off and then reset it when you go out the next time.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Zebco 33 on a Ugly Stick is all I ever needed. Since I don't rely on fishing to make a living, it's supposed to be fun. And I've never broken an Ugly Stick.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've broken several $15 rods from wallyworld. Never broken one of my $100 rods.

Really, the cost of a good rod and reel is nothing when you consider how long it will last if you take care of it. Figure up how much bait, tackle, and trip expenses you'll have over the life of the rod and it is probably just a drop in the bucket total.

I have broke both, But they will usually replace the $100 Plus rods. that is part of the extra cost is the warranty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom