Are high-dollar graphite/cork fishing rods..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for reels, I love the Shimano's. I won't use anything lower in quality than a Curado. There is a difference with high quality reels, in all aspects, ease of use, smoothness, weight, durability, casting distance, etc, etc.

porboy29

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Ugly Sticks work as well as some of my better ones and when broke they replaced them. I use the open face spinning ones 6 to 9 ft and the level wind 7 and 8 ft rods being my favorites.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes they are worth it!

I bit the bullet today and bought a new setup. I got the Abu Garcia Revo SX from Bass Pro. Then decided to go check out the rods at Academy since they are normally cheaper. So glad I did! They are having a huge sale on rods! I bought a Falcon Lowrider 6'8" MH rod for 100 bucks, regularly 140. Got it put together tonight...

Wow...I am never skimping on rods or reels. My old and beat Shimano and Berkley lightning rod will be spending a little more time in the rod box now!

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have to agree that the higher quality of rods is worth it. I will take it a
step farther and say that a custom rod is the way to go. Most of the lower end rods just slap the guides on there without regard to flex and spline of the rod. A custom maker will check the spline and flex and place the guides according to how it best fits. All of my rods have the "Roberts" wrap on them where the guides on the casting rods go around to the bottom like a spinning rod. I'm a bit of a rod snob. Most of my rods are custom rods. It helps that I know a rod maker.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere above someone suggested that two feet on an eye were superior to a single foot. This isn't necessarily correct. For very heavy salt water rods, maybe, but the added weight and stiffness on a fresh water rig make such over engineering a hinderance to feel and lightness.

W've all been saying graphite, but some of the composites used today don't even have common names. They are lighter, faster, and tougher than anything that has gone before. They are expensive too. Why buy a Kimber or a Wilson when a Taurus will do? Same for fishing poles. Same answer. Because you can and you want to. Will a rod save you from an attacker? If that happens, give me an Ugly Stick.

Like guns, rods are made to sell. Like guns, some want high end and will pay for it, others don't. I hate it when a kid with a Snoopy pole catches the biggest fish of the day, and manages to get it out of the water, (actually I love it!). But, if you plan to be more than an occasional fisherman you should spend a little more on a good rig that will do what you want when you need it. No need to break the bank, just don't do WalMart basic, and try someplace other than BassPro. CB

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP I used to be on the fence, then in a period of two weeks mangaged to pick up two falcon rods in pawn shops for about 15 each. Using my reels off of my other rods, I can definetly feel the difference. I have since started switching my rods out bit by bit.

Evan

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to break the "sensitivity of the rod" theme, but one of the things I've noticed is how much the sensitivity of the line one uses can make a difference as well.
Spider wire vs mono vs flourocorbon using the same rod.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive got to add to the strength and durability.....
we went snagging a few years ago with our bass setups, u may ask why and the answer is either we ae crazy, dumb or its was a lot more fun! anyway i used a 7.5 ft graphit with a shimano bait caster with 30lb line. I landed over 15 fish in one day with the average fish of about 65lbs and a few 85-90lb below a dam running well over 100cu ft, it doesnt get any more powerful fish wise and we never broke a rod or burned up a reel. Try doing that with any walmart setup.
on another note u thing $400 is expensive? I was fly fishing with a guy who spend $1500 on a custom made 3wt fly pole and if u know anything about fly rodes a 3wt is pretty my the ultra-light

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks all, for the replies.

Dennis, can you elaborate on line sensitivity please?

Dennis is offline, so I'll chip in. Each different type of line has varying degrees of sensitivity. How much depends on line type, #test and composition. A braided line is going to transmit information such as very soft strikes to your hands better, because it has a lot less stretch than a monofilament or flourocarbon line. You don't always need high levels of sensitivity, such as when fishing heavy bait tackle for catfish. If you're finesse fishing with small baits for bass and they're hitting short or barely mouthing a bait, a sensitive line and rod can be the difference between a boated fish and never even knowing you had one on the line.

I'm not a big braided fan personally. I use a lot of flourocarbon on my baitcasters for crankbaits and worm fishing, to help get the bait into the strike zone better. Don't use it on spinning tackle unless you want to spend a lot of time fixing tangles. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom