Are high-dollar graphite/cork fishing rods..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dang, glocktogo - I have a lot to learn. Can you write a book or something that I can buy? Do you change your line out every year? How smooth is smooth - how smooth must it be? I ask because I am going after big stripers later this year - by the way, did you guys hear that a 45 lb striper was caught in the lower Illinois a couple weeks back, not too far short of the state record? :eek: Also, an ol' boy in Missouri pulled a 115 lb catfish out of the Mississippi a few days ago. Jumpin crawdaddies!

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used a lot of different rods, ranging in price from $50 (Bass Pro) to $300 (G Loomis) and plenty in the $100+ range. I have currently switched all my rods to Shimano Cruicials. They're currently selling at Bass Pro for $159. They break. I've broken two of them. But they have an over-the-counter lifetime warranty and they will replace them on the spot.

Here's the thing. A good graphite rod will give you the greatest amount of sensitivity - especially when finesse techniques require being able to feel the lightest of bites. But there are a lot of different 'flavors' of graphite rods, even in the same brand line. You'll have different rods for different applications (texas rigged plastics, topwater, flipping, etc). Just like you wouldn't carry a S&W .500 concealed, you wouldn't use a 7'6" heavy flipping stick for throwing crankbaits all day. If your approach to fishing doesn't involve a lot of different techniques, don't worry about it. Get something that feels good and you can cast well.

I went to an all-Shimano lineup so I have a consistent feel with the grip, weight, etc. and I'm a big Shimano fan. I've got all Calcutta Reels (B & TE models) too. Believe me...there's a quality difference, just like a Hi-Point will shoot, a Zebco will catch a fish. But can you accurately flip a Classic 33 all day long from the front deck of your boat? Maybe. Not me.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang, glocktogo - I have a lot to learn. Can you write a book or something that I can buy? Do you change your line out every year? How smooth is smooth - how smooth must it be? I ask because I am going after big stripers later this year - by the way, did you guys hear that a 45 lb striper was caught in the lower Illinois a couple weeks back, not too far short of the state record? :eek: Also, an ol' boy in Missouri pulled a 115 lb catfish out of the Mississippi a few days ago. Jumpin crawdaddies!

Well I don't know if I know that much! :D

The Lower Illinois is always a good bet in August for big stripers They come up there for the cooler water flowing out of the Tenkiller dam. Floating a live shad, skipjack herring or rainbow under a ballon float around the high-line wires South of the Hwy 64 bridge is a likely place to find a big one.

I change my line every year, and sometimes more often depending on how much fishing I get in each season. Don't cheap out on line and make sure that drag is SMOOTH if you want to land a whopper!

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
'Way back I had my only bait cast bass reel in the shop and was throwing a spinner bait on my backup Zebco closed face rig. Got hit by the biggest bass I have ever seen anywhere. Guessing that farm pond beast at 14 pounds. The reel exploded and the bass went the other way. Little closed face reels are okay for little kids and those who aren't serious about fishing, but when that one big bite happens, look out.

Ugly sticks are ugly, and worse, heavy. I have used a bunch of them, including a graphite/glass five footer which was an ultralite with a small open face reel (wore out four reels with that rod, and caught tons of fish on it) Can't find anything to relally replace it, and it finally broke after only about 30 years of use. Fixed it with a new ferrell (sp?) and hung it on the wall.

Light is good. cork is good. Feels better, has more feel. Graphite/composite/boron, etc. is good, and more expensive. Long is always better, and joints in the middle of rods are the spawn of the devil. There is at least as much to know about fishing and the equipment involved as there is to know about guns and shooting. Differfent strokes for different folks, but if you go the Zebco 33 route, you are in HiPoint territory. CB

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can hardly use my fiberglass ultralights after switching to graphite.

They feel like big, heavy wet noodle in comparison. Night and day difference. I can't imagine ultralight fishing with a rod of less quality than something like my Falcon now.
And I broke my Falcon Ultralight somehow once, took it to Broken Arrow and they gave me a new one. Can't beat that.

With fly rods, the big money rods can make a heck of a difference. But only if you are a good enough caster to take advantage of it. I'm not, so a middle of the road rod works for me. That middle of the road rod is night and day compared to a cheap flyrod though.

My catfish rods are all cheapies. But all they have to do is sit there and winch up a fish every now and then. For rig you are actively using, it's totally worth it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm like GTG and Dustin. Smooth drag, and fresh line. I buy my line in 1000 yd spools, keep it in the house where its cool and out of sunlight. I'll change the line on a regular basis. I prefer light line, 10 lb being my heavy stuff. That requires a good drag. Not one of the brass washer and a little grease type.
Never had a problem landing a 15lb striper on light line in moving water.
It may take twice as long, but its the bend of the rod, and a screaming drag that is the excitment for me.
I do use the Ugly stick light pro models. I prefer a medium butt, and light tip.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two bait casting setups. one cost me somewhere between $30 and $50 the other I think I have considerably more invested. I bought the first one to try my hand at bait casting. simple Academy setup I just had to put the line on it. Second purchase was selected for the rod and reel I wanted.

I can go pickup the two and notice a considerable difference in the way each performs. The cheap package deal does the job. I have pulled quite a few fish out of the water with it. But the upgrade of reel and rod on my other setup makes a difference.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me, it depends on the application. If we're talking bass fishing, grapite, for the most part, is the way to go. For crankbaits, I still like the action that a good glass pole gives. For anything else, worm, jig, spinner bait, flipping, etc, I strongly prefer graphite. In fact, I really prefer fairly high end graphite. There is a big difference. The Loomis GLX are amazingly light and sensitive, but not as tough as the IMX. My favorite rod, for the money, is a Falcon Cara. It's above the low-rider series and below the expert. It is a big step up from the low-rider. Get one. You will not be disappointed.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Geez, I am not even going to try and add up how much I have in fishing rod and reels. I have extra so I can take buddies fishing.
Like others have said, the higher priced rods are more sensitive, lighter and often times have premium line guides on the rod. The premium line guides wear on the line less. The lighter rods are nice if you are casting all day for a 3 day tournament. I even turn my head the other direction when I see the prices on some rods. But it is reel (lol) easy to spend $200-300 on a better rod and reel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom