Arizona Law Banning Ethnic Studies Takes Effect Tonight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
(Newser) – An Arizona law banning Mexican-American studies takes effect at midnight, opening a new front in the state's immigration wars. Among other things, the law bans courses designed for students of any particular ethnic group—even if they are open to all students. The state schools chief wrote it in response to complaints about a program in the Tucson district that teaches Mexican-American history, reports the Christian Science Monitor. Critics see it as yet another attack on the state's Latino population.

“The state superintendent is overreaching," says University of Arizona professor Roberto Rodriguez. But the superintendent, Tom Horne, says such programs are divisive by nature. Tucson school officials say they won't comply with the new law and will continue teaching the course, which will lead to a legal fight that gets under way Monday.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
(Newser) – An Arizona law banning Mexican-American studies takes effect at midnight, opening a new front in the state's immigration wars. Among other things, the law bans courses designed for students of any particular ethnic group—even if they are open to all students. The state schools chief wrote it in response to complaints about a program in the Tucson district that teaches Mexican-American history, reports the Christian Science Monitor. Critics see it as yet another attack on the state's Latino population.

“The state superintendent is overreaching," says University of Arizona professor Roberto Rodriguez. But the superintendent, Tom Horne, says such programs are divisive by nature. Tucson school officials say they won't comply with the new law and will continue teaching the course, which will lead to a legal fight that gets under way Monday.

Come on JB just look at this new law as a yob opportunity,just insert number x 2000 usd

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Readin writin rithmatic. That's all there is to it.

That's all there should be to it. If you want to study "ethnic" topics, we have libraries, the internet, and many other outlets for that. Otherwise, teach what needs to be taught. Could too much emphasis on "ethnic studies", and not enough on mathematics be why the U.S. is ranked so low globally in education?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know ... the kind of mood I woke up in ... I am not sure I see a problem with this. You are in America ... assimilate or go home.

OK ... now that that is out of the way ... I have no problem with "ethnic studies" but if we are gonna study "ethnics" then we need to offer classes to study ALL ethnics, not just "special" ones ... And don't give me that crap about we've been studing "white ethnics" since America was founded ... I learned about Sequoyah and Booker T. Washington all through grade school and junior high ... honestly don't remember much about high school ... sorry, my bad ...

Flame away fellas ... I am gonna go make some coffee ...

Oh and HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!!

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My eighth grade Spanish teacher made a point of telling all of his classes that he wasn't an Hispanic-American, he was an American. He told us he didn't like the whole hyphenated American thing.

Wise man.

shootingbuff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I applaud AZ for It is a bold move and the State's choice. I see this going the way of the 55mph speed limit - conform or you don't get fed funds.

Might need a bit more positive coverage/explaining as to the why - budget, time etc. K-12 is for the 3 Rs and to get the basics/foundation for college.

If one is so concerned about ethnics have the parents or other social groups teach it. What a waste of funds that distract from basic education.

Once you start giving in to one group you open the door to all. When it comes to my kids I want max time on what is going to get them ahead in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom